What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Deck needs reinforcement!  (Read 3949 times)

sobe

• Sundance optima owner
Deck needs reinforcement!
« on: August 23, 2004, 05:14:42 pm »
I was all ready to get the new optima delivered but turns out the previous owners of the house did not build the deck to code, used only 16inch deep footings.
So I have to incur the additional cost of having new footings and reinforce  the deck. Total cost $1400 and have the electric to the house upgraded to 200 amps, cost $1000-$1500.
This tub is sure getting to be expensive.

Hot Tub Forum

Deck needs reinforcement!
« on: August 23, 2004, 05:14:42 pm »

rocket

• Life is good!
Re: Deck needs reinforcement!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 05:26:13 pm »
Is there an alternative place for the spa that would be less costly?  Your salesman should be able to come out, at no charge, and give you some ideas!!!! :)

sobe

• Sundance optima owner
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 06:36:15 pm »
My salesman was the one who came out to the house and inspected the deck.
We have a rather large 1500sq ft  two tier deck overlooking woods and a small lake and the deck is going to be placed on the lower deck.

The work on the deck has already begun and I should be soaking away my anguish by the weekend.

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 06:45:14 pm »
I sympathize with you sobe. Although it was no surprise, when I was ready to purchase a hot tub I found that my existing deck could not take the load. I bit the bullet and added an additional 130 sq ft to the deck to support the tub and in the process put together a long term plan to redo the entire deck. (I can't wait till I'm able to upgrade the rest of the deck.)

It will all be well worth it come your first soak this weekend.
e

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 09:32:12 am »
Only the portion of the deck that the tub sits on must be supported, if I recall correctly. They should be able to put extra, deeper footers under the tub area, maybe upgrade the joists?  Don't know if that would save some money.

-Ed

sobe

• Sundance optima owner
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 12:42:52 pm »
The contracter just finished today, he dug up the old footings and put 2 extra footings. The ledger board attached to the house was only secured by nails so that had to be anchored and extra 2 by 8 joists were put in to support the tub.
Only thing left now is the scheduling of the delivery and the electrical work.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 12:42:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42