What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Coming at buying process backwards  (Read 2330 times)

bigshotbantam

Coming at buying process backwards
« on: January 26, 2018, 08:41:28 pm »
Hi All.

We're getting close to buying our first new hot tub.  Budget is not great, but needs are modest.  Would like hydrotherapy jets, seating comfortably for 2 (so most "2 man tubs" seem to be out) and reliability.  Was leaning toward a Nordic Stella for balance of budget and features, but haven't ever seen one in person.  That's based mostly on reputation and online research.
If we go local, there's only one option - Aspen.  I've not heard it talked about in the forums, so I'm dubious. 
I know that the recommended procedure is to visit lots of showrooms, narrow down, wet-test, then select.  We will have to go 2.5 hours or more to get a selection of brands (Including Nordic), and 2.5 hours in the other direction to see some makers.  The distance means that we can't lurk for deals like locals can.  We're trying to do at least enough narrowing to save us some very long drives.
What else should we look at that would be similar to the Nordic Stella?  I've heard that a lot of bigger names have secondary lines that are a bit more trimmed down, but don't know the names of those trimmed-down lines or secondary brands.  Is there something secondary by bullfrog or Jacuzzi for instance that would be comparable?  Is Aspen reputable enough to deserve more attention?  Is there a time of year that I could expect to get a better deal and maybe luck out on a floor model or trade-in?  We don't have to hurry. 
We have 220 already, and a concrete pad, and also have a forklift and front-end-loader, so we're reasonably well equipped to get one here even if we can't get delivery, and shouldn't have to pay for site prep or electrician.  Not sure we could even get delivery or service calls so far away from dealers.

Hot Tub Forum

Coming at buying process backwards
« on: January 26, 2018, 08:41:28 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Coming at buying process backwards
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 09:58:18 pm »
Hi All.

We're getting close to buying our first new hot tub.  Budget is not great, but needs are modest.  Would like hydrotherapy jets, seating comfortably for 2 (so most "2 man tubs" seem to be out) and reliability.  Was leaning toward a Nordic Stella for balance of budget and features, but haven't ever seen one in person.  That's based mostly on reputation and online research.
If we go local, there's only one option - Aspen.  I've not heard it talked about in the forums, so I'm dubious. 
I know that the recommended procedure is to visit lots of showrooms, narrow down, wet-test, then select.  We will have to go 2.5 hours or more to get a selection of brands (Including Nordic), and 2.5 hours in the other direction to see some makers.  The distance means that we can't lurk for deals like locals can.  We're trying to do at least enough narrowing to save us some very long drives.
What else should we look at that would be similar to the Nordic Stella?  I've heard that a lot of bigger names have secondary lines that are a bit more trimmed down, but don't know the names of those trimmed-down lines or secondary brands.  Is there something secondary by bullfrog or Jacuzzi for instance that would be comparable?  Is Aspen reputable enough to deserve more attention?  Is there a time of year that I could expect to get a better deal and maybe luck out on a floor model or trade-in?  We don't have to hurry. 
We have 220 already, and a concrete pad, and also have a forklift and front-end-loader, so we're reasonably well equipped to get one here even if we can't get delivery, and shouldn't have to pay for site prep or electrician.  Not sure we could even get delivery or service calls so far away from dealers.

You must live in the middle of nowhere!  Sounds like your budget is in the 5k range. For tubs at that price point you really can’t go wrong with Nordic. If you expand your price point most manufacturers have multiple lines with different price points. Check out the websites of Marquis, Caldera, Hot Spring, Bullfrog, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Artesian and serif you have any of those nearby. Have heard of Aspen but have never seen one in person so I’m not able to give you any feedback on that brand.  As a Nordic dealer as well as a couple of the other brands I listed I will say Nordic makes a very reliable product with very few warranty claims and are one of the most user friendly tubs to service on your own. Being that you will be so far away from the closest dealer that might be something to keep in mind.

bud16415

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 09:20:11 am »
I’ll give you my 2 cents for what it’s worth. I took the last half hour just out of curiosity and searched around on Aspen Spas. I even went to google maps and viewed their location and street viewed it. You say you have a dealer local to your town. I would be spending a lot of time at that dealer wet testing what they have and I would even ask them to remove the service panel so I could take a look at the guts if they had a tub I felt fit my needs. Find out if they stock parts and do service and find out how long they have been in town.

There web page and what I can see looks like they know what they are doing but again I have never seen one or sat in one.

Being local I would give them my attention until they lost me somehow.

What is a hot tub really? Sounds like they use quality components and they advertise they have an ABS bottom pan etc. Mostly you find that on the premier products in any manufacture. I have a Caldera top of the line tub in the 12k price point and I was not overly impressed with the construction when I opened it up.

I didn’t look at Aspen but we have none around here. That doesn’t mean they are not a big enough company to not be considered if you live where they sell them.

My 2 cents is take a hard look at them before you go on some road trips. If you can get them to open one take a few pics and the guys here might shed some light on what they see. 

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 12:28:18 pm »
I sell A LOT of Stellas, great tub and to be honest the "distance" wouldn't even bother me cause the damn things are bullet proof (lowest service rate over any brand I've ever sold in 12 years)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 12:28:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42