What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tri-x Filter flow issues  (Read 2674 times)

Wetvet1

Tri-x Filter flow issues
« on: November 15, 2017, 09:04:33 am »
I have a 5 year old Vista Hot Springs Spa using Tri-x filters since the date of purchase.  I have had repeated issues with low flow error messages that trips off the heater since I have owned this spa.  This spa is in a second home which I visit about once a month and does not get a lot of use. The filters are cleaned about once every 3 months.  I replaced the filters once and have found the frequency of this problem unchanged.  I happens about once every 3-4 months on the average.  None of the dealers/repair service companies know what the problem is.  Is it possible that these filters restrict the flow of water more than paper filters and is responsible?  I understand that the filters need to be cleaned on a regular basis but I have never experienced this with any other tubs I have owned.  Thanks for your help....i’m Really struggling with this.

Hot Tub Forum

Tri-x Filter flow issues
« on: November 15, 2017, 09:04:33 am »

d00nut

Re: Tri-x Filter flow issues
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 02:45:25 pm »
Do you rotate the filters?  TriX filters do allow quite a bit of water flow, but they do a great job of filtering out small particles over time, resulting in them clogging more. 

If you don't move the main filter off the circ pump standpipe every once in a while you can run into that issue of the heater shutting off.

Also, when you clean the filter, do you hose it out?  spray filter cleaner on it?  Soak it in a degreaser?

I'm willing to bet just rotating your filters will solve your issue.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 05:05:58 pm »
I once ran into an issue once where the filter on the circ pump was pretty new and "looked" fine but for some reason had a flow restriction causing the heater to shut down. I swapped filters and it ran fine but when I put that filter back in the circ pump line it would quickly fail. I did it a couple times to confirm and once it was proven that filter was removed from the equation and the problem was resolved.

In your case frequency of filter cleaning is in play as well since you're not always there so if you can't clean them closer to a  monthly schedule then you might want to try a paper filter for that circ pump line and leave the other filters for the jet pump lines.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Wetvet1

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 07:38:56 am »
Thank you everyone for your responses, it really helps.  I do use a detergent/degrease soaking over night and rinsing them off with a high pressure hose.  I do rotate them but haven't gotten it down to which filter may be causing the problem since it is SOOOOOO intermittent.  Admittedly the last time it shut down the filter was pretty dirty.  I like the idea of using a paper filter for the circuit pump line  8)

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 02:34:19 pm »
Thank you everyone for your responses, it really helps.  I do use a detergent/degrease soaking over night and rinsing them off with a high pressure hose.  I do rotate them but haven't gotten it down to which filter may be causing the problem since it is SOOOOOO intermittent.  Admittedly the last time it shut down the filter was pretty dirty.  I like the idea of using a paper filter for the circuit pump line  8)

Putting standard filter for circ pump should do the trick.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Conine2965

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 08:51:12 am »
I've had the problem before if you have a circ pump clean the impeller mine would get clogged with hair and small pine needles send cause a Flo error.

Wetvet1

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 08:33:25 pm »
do you have any references on how I might do that.  You tube perhaps?

castletonia

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 08:49:23 pm »
You really do not have an impeller on your circulation pump.  Hot Spring uses what is called a low flow circulation pump.  They are magnetic driven.  If you were to take the "wet end" of the pump apart, you would find a metal ball and what looks like two stainless steel dishes.  The ball runs around in what is kind of a track.  If you get any debris or scale build up it will cause the pump to run "rough".

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 08:49:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42