What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: We got the HS Prodigy...  (Read 2477 times)

grimaila

We got the HS Prodigy...
« on: August 21, 2004, 07:52:22 am »
And we love it!  Thanks to all of the forum members who responded to my questions. We got the 2004 HS Prodigy in pearl with grey cabinet, Easy cover, ozone system, 220V GFI Breaker Subpanel, delivery, install, and a year worth of chemicals for $5500. We ended up adding a subpanel to our existing (overfilled) main breaker box and hooked up our spa for 220V operation.

A word of advice to others: Get multiple quotes for electrical hook ups. The company that we purchased the spa from recommeded an electric contractor that was way overpriced. They quoted a price of $1700 to add a subpanel, run the 220 wiring to our spa (a long distance > 100ft), and hook up the spa. I guess they thought that I would just accept their estimate :). However, I knew better and called our regular electric contractor and they quoted a price of less than half of the other company! Needless to say, we selected our regular company and had the work done in a couple of days.

BTW: I contacted the company that gave the high quote for the subpanel and 220 upgrade and spoke with their manager. I explained the situation and he proceeded to feed me a line of BS how they used standard book pricing for all of their jobs. I listed the cost of the parts (and their costs) necessary to complete the job and asked why their labor cost was more than 3x of our regular company.... Then he starts whining about Bush and the economy and how he needs to feed his kids.... Jeeessh... Needless to say, that was the end of the conversation. I let the Spa company know about the situation and they apologized saying they have had some other complaints about cost (not quality) and were going to list their customer recommedations instead of one favored by the company.

BTW: After a couple of days in the spa, we are pleased with our purchase.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 08:00:27 am by grimaila »

Hot Tub Forum

We got the HS Prodigy...
« on: August 21, 2004, 07:52:22 am »

UnderTheStars

Re: We got the HS Prodigy...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 10:41:45 am »
Congratulations Grimaila!  I just climbed out of our 2 1/2 week old Vanguard - also pearl & grey.  (I liked the copper/espresso but as someone else has said here, my wife is the art/design director . . .Ok, I admit, she was right again - LOL!)

I think we're both going to really enjoy our tubs for many moons to come.  Here's to a hot tub weekend!

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 12:06:12 pm »
Then he starts whining about Bush and the economy and how he needs to feed his kids.... Jeeessh...

You have got to be kidding me.

Okay- I have two real problems with this- One is professional and the other political.

First, while bringing up a family in casual conversation can help customer identify with you, bringing up 'feeding the kids' is an overt use of a 'guilt trip' to justify inflated pricing... this is a tactless, unprofessional, and unacceptable defense.

Second, our economy is growing better than it has in 15 years. Unemployment rates are lower now than they were under Bill Clinton's administration and more people have more disposable income to use to buy things like,.. oh I dont know,... Spas and hot tubs. ;D So now when you hear this lame excuse, you'll know theyre fibbing to disguise their gouging.

I am totally in agreement here with Mike though, talk to more than one electrical contractor... this also applies to concrete and construction contractors. Weed them out before opening the purse strings.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 12:06:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42