What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Artesian/Jacuzzi/Sundance -- Model Comparison  (Read 6738 times)

firsttimebuyer

Artesian/Jacuzzi/Sundance -- Model Comparison
« on: April 11, 2017, 09:15:36 pm »
First of all.. thank you all for the opinions and advice you share including the other 1st time buyers. Everyone's general impressions and those w/ industry experience have been extremely helpful. Started the process of shopping for a hot tub for the first time a couple of weeks ago and would be clueless without this forum.

With that said, i have narrowed my search down to a few models.

Artesian - Grand Cayman Elite -- $10,995 -- includes stairs, lights, startup chemicals, cover and lift
Jacuzzi - J-385 -- $11,999 -- includes stairs, lights, startup chemicals, cover and lift
Sundance - 880 series - Optima -- $11,999 -- includes stairs, lights, startup chemicals, cover and lift

I haven't had a chance to wet test yet. The plan is to do that Friday and make final choices. But was hoping to get some general feedback from the community regarding price and impressions for each tub. To me it seems the Artesian Grand Cayman Elite is a higher end model than the other 2 in regards to # of jets and features, but I could easily be wrong there.

I'm ideally looking for powerful jets as I tend to get back/foot pain. I'm also a taller guy (6' 5") but happen to be married to someone much shorter (5' 2"), if that makes a difference in what you generally recommend to your customers. Or if there are other models from those manufacturers you'd recommend more.

Both dealers have been great to deal with to this point. Had to eliminate the Hot Springs and Dimension One models due to lack of confidence or overly pushy dealers.

Beyond the tubs themselves, I'll also need to put a pad down for the tub. My backyard is primarily Belgard Cambridge cobble type pavers and have had one dealer tell me it's no issue to put a tub down on them vs another advising against it. Install wise, anyone have experience w/ pavers and how big of a concern it might be?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any advice or feedback you can provide.

Erik

Hot Tub Forum

Artesian/Jacuzzi/Sundance -- Model Comparison
« on: April 11, 2017, 09:15:36 pm »

mjb

Re: Artesian/Jacuzzi/Sundance -- Model Comparison
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 10:08:38 am »
No problem with placing a hot tub on a properly built paver patio.

firsttimebuyer

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 10:42:40 am »
Appreciate the feedback MJB.. now the question is how much I trust my contractor to "properly" install the pavers. I wish I was the DIY type, but that gene seems to have skipped a generation in my family.

mjb

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 01:27:16 pm »
Generally 4-6" of compacted base material and a good solid edge are the requirements.
Check out the contractors previous work from references.

firsttimebuyer

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 06:29:54 pm »
So after some miscommunication the Dimension 1 dealer is offering to cut the price of the Nautilus down to $9500. I'm still a bit reluctant based on my previous interactions with them, but the reviews out there for the business are all overwhelmingly positive. So i'm now on the fence. Anyone have any thoughts in regards to the 4 tubs I'm now debating?

Artesian - Grand Cayman Elite -- $10,995 -- includes stairs, lights, startup chemicals, cover and lift
Jacuzzi - J-385 -- $11,999 -- includes stairs, lights, startup chemicals, cover and lift
Sundance - 880 series - Optima -- $11,999 -- includes stairs, lights, startup chemicals, cover and lift

Nautilus - ~$9500 -- I believe all the same items are included

Thanks

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 07:14:18 pm »
So after some miscommunication the Dimension 1 dealer is offering to cut the price of the Nautilus down to $9500. I'm still a bit reluctant based on my previous interactions with them, but the reviews out there for the business are all overwhelmingly positive. So i'm now on the fence. Anyone have any thoughts in regards to the 4 tubs I'm now debating?

Nautilus - ~$9500 -- I believe all the same items are included

Thanks

The Jacuzzi and Sundance are above the Artesian in my opinion all nice spas though, gotta go with what works best for you.  The D1 at that price is a good deal and they build a solid spa.   Jacuzzi, Sundance and D1 all Ironically owned by the same company. 

firsttimebuyer

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 09:37:17 pm »
So went wet testing today and was amazed at how disappointed I was in the Artesian. I'm a taller guy and just didn't fit at all in their command seat w/ the neck and shoulder jets. The whole experience kind of bummed us out and had me second guessing if we'd find a tub that met our needs.

Luckily, we also went to the Jacuzzi/Sundance dealer immediately after and it was like night and day. Both the Jacuzzi and Optima tubs felt much more open and comfortable for both of us in each seat. My wife ended up liking the Jacuzzi a bit better, so we ended up w/ the J-385.. Just have to get the paver pad in place (hopefully this week), and we'll get the tub shortly thereafter.

I'm sure i'll be using this forum for a long time to come. Had a pool growing up but a hot tub and it's water chemistry is definitely a new thing, so i'm sure it'll take a while to perfect it. Now to decide what other new toys/accessories we need to complete the backyard.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 12:16:10 am »
 Good choice, congrats!

firsttimebuyer

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 10:32:49 am »
Had the Jacuzzi delivered on Thursday and just finishing up a few additional projects in the backyard..

A bar for next to the tub w/ a built in cooler for refreshments. It's almost complete, just needs a good stain to try to match the Jacuzzi cabinet.

And a simple outdoor shower to rinse before or after a soak.

Thanks again for all of the advice!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:36:06 am by firsttimebuyer »

mjb

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 11:46:46 am »
Very nice set-up that you have created !!!

JoeCappi

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 09:10:03 am »
Hello All -

Thank you for the add to the forum. I have been Hot Tub shopping for about 4-5 weeks now and stumbled across this forum. Thank you for sharing all of your personal experiences as it is a great help. I'm a complete newbie to the spa world and trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can. My head is spinning as I'm sure you can all relate to.

Congrats on your purchase btw - set up looks beautiful. Can I ask why you went with the J385 over the J470 though? I have wet tested 5 tubs so far Sundance Optima, Jacuzzi J495 (they didnt have the J470 or J385 available to wet test), Hotsprings Grandee, the Hotsprings Pulse and the Master Spa 8.25 - I really do like them all for different reasons. I find what one has the other doesn't and vice versa. Really having trouble deciding. I will wet test the Bullfrog this weekend. Looking at the A8

My Sundance dealer is telling me I need to compare the Optima to the J470 though not the J385? I havent even begun negotiating prices at all. I'm dreading that part. I think I like the Jacuzzi best so far. I love the feel of their Jets. but the dealership leaves little to be desired. Love the Sundance dealer and the Optima, not in love with the lighting in it though. The Jets seems to be a bit hard and stationary. LOVE the cabinetry in the Grandee & the control panel but no footdome is an absolute misfire. I need that. Which the Pulse has but doesnt have the Moto Jets in it. Lighting is cool but if I was gonna go with the Pulse I would do the Optima instead. Master Spa was a little too "plastic" for me. Wasnt in love with it. With all the reviews on the Bullfrog, its a must that I at least check it out.

Again - Thanks for the add , was wondering why you went with the J385 over the J470

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 09:10:03 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42