What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electric hook up  (Read 2424 times)

Thisismyname

Electric hook up
« on: September 11, 2017, 09:01:20 am »
Have my Bullfrog coming soon and need electric hooked up.  Got a quote for $625 to run power outside with the 50a GFCI breaker panel.  Does this seem in line?  Includes materials and labor.

The hot tub store said he hears customers pay about $300.

Hot Tub Forum

Electric hook up
« on: September 11, 2017, 09:01:20 am »

allen2438

Re: Electric hook up
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 09:30:08 am »
If it helps I am a retired electrical engieer as well as having been an electrician for many years, the breaker is around $100 depending on brand and you area etc.  The bulk of the cost is labor and any other materials, wire, boxes etc. Labor is a big variable as some installations are simple and some are time consuming.  Ask for a breakdown of the quote parts and labor.  No point in asking for material item by item, you just need to know each cost labor and materail.  From what you said it sounds like probably arout $200 in parts +/-.   Average labor rate in my area, Texas,  is around $50 to $70 per hour.  That meansyour guy will be there pretty much all day unless there are two of them working which probably the case if they are pulling wire.  Get a second quote from a reputable contractor, Places like Lowes and Home Depot and other major building suppliers have lists of these people.  Always, when it comes to electrical, as for your quote to be broken out into materail and labor.  If they won't break it out I would not do business with them.  Allen

bwspa

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 09:36:17 am »
You can likely get the supplies for around $300, depending on distance/wire length.  The labor would be additional. 

For me, with under 40' run, I'm in the $225-250 for 60A disconnect, panel breaker, liquid-tight conduit, 6AWG (4 wires *40' ea), misc connectors and hardware.  Luckily I have about 4 friends who are or were electricians to help cover the install.

bradleyabell

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 10:56:04 am »
Have my Bullfrog coming soon and need electric hooked up.  Got a quote for $625 to run power outside with the 50a GFCI breaker panel.  Does this seem in line?  Includes materials and labor.

The hot tub store said he hears customers pay about $300.

This is a good price for hiring a contractor...I received quotes of around $800-$1,000 and ended up having a buddy do it on the side for around $400 including materials+labor.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 11:19:11 am »
I have an electrician I refer and he is typically $700-$1000 for an average 50 amp hookup

Thisismyname

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 11:54:18 am »
Ok so maybe my price isn't bad.  My buddy does it on the side too....so materials plus pizza and beer

bud16415

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 02:47:38 pm »
Without knowing all the details it is pretty hard to figure. I did my own and it took most of the day and I didn’t go underground. My deck abuts the house and I had a 200 amp panel with open slots for a 50a breaker. My tub came with the GFCI sub panel supplied and once I excited the house it is all in conduit run across the bottom of the deck. I would highly recommend #6 wire unless the tub is very close to the main box. Many will tell you #8 is large enough.

If your main box is full or not to capacity for the tub then you could have a big jump in cost.

d00nut

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 03:45:26 pm »
Out here, people charge by the linear foot.  Then you determine some details like... is it running through the attic?  Or are we trenching?  Those change the costs quite a bit.  A good rule of thumb is about $11-12 a linear foot for electrical here in AZ.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 03:45:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42