What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New "knock off" or older used tub and save for new brand name?  (Read 3390 times)

Claud_face

Hi there.

I have been reading the forums the last few weeks as I started looking into tubs.
Let's say my budget is around 4k. I know this is not much and hence my question.

BTW I do want a bigger tub for various reasons so getting a smaller one with 4k wouldn't be an option anyways.

Just wondering what would you do?

I can have a 11 year old jacuzzi J375 for free. Just need to pick it up and transport it. It has no issues and looks in pretty good shape. Install it and keep saving up for a new one or...

Purchase something like this. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-and-Garden-Spas-6-Person-90-Jet-Spa-with-MP3-Auxiliary-Hookup-LPI106X12/204128586?cm_mmc=SEM%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-Pro-Services&gclid=CP6q5ZCNmtQCFQmFaQoddZ4AEA&gclsrc=aw.ds

I know this is one of those no name brands. However it is brand new. Also I can get it for 4.5k delivered to my house.

Given the situation what would you do?

What is this big difference between the two? Quality? What do we mean by quality? The parts? Reliability?

My father inaw purchased same brand of tub 6 years ago. Uses it non stop. For 6 smyears now and has had zero issues. I've used it many times and before I knew a thing about tubs thought it was a wonderful spa.

I'm not looking for future issues, however, I am also quite handy and relacing a pump or heater or board wouldn't be an issue for me if it ever came down to it.

Knowing a this I'd love to hear opinions.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Cora5

Re: New "knock off" or older used tub and save for new brand name?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 10:58:01 am »
I say if you like it and it's good enough for you and you don't particularly care for all the bells and whistles for a higher priced spa, go for it.

Claud_face

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 11:18:44 am »
I guess thats another thing I'm wondering. What are these bells and whistles of the higher priced spas?

Seems this one has just about everything the other high end spas have?

Maybe they get a bad rep because many people like to post bad experiences versus good experiences. But with that one even reviews seem good on various websites.

Also I have seen first hand nothing but good things from it.

Just curious of opinions is all.

Sam

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 02:51:24 pm »
I'd personally take the jacuzzi.  It will have better, more therapeutic jets, better filtration, significantly more energy efficient, better support, etc. 

By the way, that thing doesn't actually have 90 jets.  They count individual nozzles.  Kinda lame.

Claud_face

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 03:32:10 pm »
It doesn't have 90 jets?

Guess I didn't know that.

I need to check out the jacuzzi, but I would figure they count them the same way? Maybe not.

Also, that is the question. Is it even more energy efficient. I would certainly think a tub 10 years later is more efficient then one from 10 years ago. However, yes, it certainly is possible if cheap components are used. 10 years , however, is a long time.

Thanks.

TemptingDestiny

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 04:45:37 pm »
I must have failed to see how many pumps are in this tub, as well. I don't see that listed. If you click and zoom in on the tub, you can count the jets. ;)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 06:52:42 pm »
  I would take the Jacuzzi in a heartbeat.   You can get parts on-line though some like the circuit board are spendy.   But as long as it's not leaking you should be fine.   Even if you put 2 grand into it your ahead by 3. 

Claud_face

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 11:50:07 pm »
I feel like I've seen quite a few times people mentioning leaks being a big no no. I always would have figured a leak is usually an easy fix no?

That shouldn't be an issue here though.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 12:40:39 am »
 Leaks are not hard to fix, just a pain to find depending where they are. Curious where you live, north in freeze during winter of south of white Christmas's? 

What's the status of the Jacuzzi, been sitting or used and decently cared for?  Even for an 10 or 11 year old Jacuzzi it was a 8 to 9000 dollar spa at one time new.    If you can get pics up of it that would be good.  My J-355 is going on 10 years and going strong. 

Isaac-1

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 07:08:27 pm »
I too would say to go with the older Jacuzzi if it is in good shape, I bought a 1998 Hot Spring Jetsetter a few years ago and it is still going strong with only a bit of maintenance, maybe $350 or so on initial freshening, new pillows, replacing some jets, and other odd parts.  It has likely spent its entire life indoors and most people can't come close to guessing its age, sure the teal vinyl pillows and lack of color changing lights are a clue.  The real redwood exterior is nice though, particularly after I re-oiled it (Hot Spring went to fake plastic redwood in '99).  With my tub it works almost as well as the current generation Jetsetter, and I see no reason why it may not last another 10-20 years with reasonable care.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 07:08:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42