What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Concrete versus gravel or spa pad  (Read 5722 times)

Chk

Concrete versus gravel or spa pad
« on: February 28, 2017, 02:33:07 pm »
Hi everyone - I am getting my new Caldera Tahitian in a few weeks and want to make the best decision as to the base.  The dealer said concrete is always best because it is the most uniform and even a small variation can cause problems.  This sounds logical to me, but I'm wondering if crushed gravel, which is cheaper, would be just as good.   If not, I'm not looking to save a few dollars if it will hurt me down the road.

Appreciate the advice, as always,

Harry

Hot Tub Forum

Concrete versus gravel or spa pad
« on: February 28, 2017, 02:33:07 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Concrete versus gravel or spa pad
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 04:36:25 pm »
Hi everyone - I am getting my new Caldera Tahitian in a few weeks and want to make the best decision as to the base.  The dealer said concrete is always best because it is the most uniform and even a small variation can cause problems.  This sounds logical to me, but I'm wondering if crushed gravel, which is cheaper, would be just as good.   If not, I'm not looking to save a few dollars if it will hurt me down the road.

Appreciate the advice, as always,

Harry

Your dealer was right, concrete is better than anything else. That doesn't mean there aren't other options like gravel or a spa pad that will work. I don't think anyone can tell you if your other options are going to be as good as concrete. There are a lot of factors to consider. How is the drainage where your putting the tub? How will you get to the tub if it's on gravel? Or grass? Will you bring gravel or grass into the tub on your feet? What is the sub soil like under the gravel or grass that the spa pad is sitting on?

In other words you could put your tub on a gravel surface and it MIGHT be just fine. You could put your tub on a concrete pad and it WILL be just fine.
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 04:49:37 pm »
  Tman is right, that being said I have probably put 200 spas on gravel without a problem, but there is more to it than just throwing gravel down and making a base.

Chk

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 05:14:31 pm »
Maybe I'll ask my dealer if he'd take a look. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 07:05:28 pm »
Maybe I'll ask my dealer if he'd take a look.

I built a few pads out of treated 4x4's and treated 3/4 plywood with some SS 2" and 3" screws that was as good as concrete. But I had to do the same amount of prep for the base (under the wood) as concrete. Especially when you get to the northern frost zones. You never said where your located?
Retired

Chk

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 08:26:19 am »
I'm about 50 miles north of NYC.  If I'm spending this much on the hot tub, I decided it makes little sense to try and save a few dollars.   Seems that the everyone thinks concrete is the best.

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 11:50:08 am »
would suggest reading your warranty as lot of spas built out there need to be placed a a concrete pad or deck so that you do not run into problems of voiding your warranty

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 11:50:08 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42