What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New House with Hottub Complete NooB  (Read 2223 times)

kellyjo7

New House with Hottub Complete NooB
« on: January 21, 2016, 10:58:50 pm »
Glad I found this forum,

I just moved into a new house that came with a Cal Spa, 2005 model. I know nothing about hot-tubs. The tub is currently full and running. I had the local dealer come out and inspect it before I bought the house. The only issue they found was a possible slight leak around one of the pump seals. They seemed to act like it wouldn't really be worth me fixing because they would have to take the pump out and to their shop. The water was a little low so they refilled that.

I have no idea where to start with chemicals and getting the thing going, the water looks clear and everything. Temp is set to 100 F. I am in South Dakota so it is the middle of winter with very cold (sometimes below zero) temps. From what I gather in my research so far I should probably avoid draining the tub to refill with fresh water because I risk something freezing.

I would really appreciate any advice on where to start. I should probably get a new filter but don't even know what to buy, it has a dual filtration system that the manual says is for 100sq ft. So I am assuming I should buy two 50 Sq Ft. Filters. Any recommendations on brands etc?

What about chemicals, the manual seemed to suggest using bromide. I am assuming I should shock it first, then work on the chemicals?

Really appreciate any guidance or recommendations. Thank!

Hot Tub Forum

New House with Hottub Complete NooB
« on: January 21, 2016, 10:58:50 pm »

Topline Mike

Re: New House with Hottub Complete NooB
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 10:15:50 am »
If you are a do it yourselfer, the first thing I would buy is a test kit.  Don't buy the test strips, they are very vague.  Buy a Taylor test kit.  I started with bromine 2 years ago, and switched to dichlor/bleach since.  Bromine is easier, but the water doesn't last as long. 

If you're not a do it yourselfer, go to your local spa store and let them help you out.  You'll get all those pretty bottles of spa chemicals to make your water nice. 

Sam

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 01:26:50 pm »
Most dealerships will do a free chemical maintenance orientation in their store for no charge.  They will come do it at your house for a nominal fee.  Totally worth it for a noob.

silverbullet

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 03:22:41 pm »
Most dealerships will do a free chemical maintenance orientation in their store for no charge.  They will come do it at your house for a nominal fee.  Totally worth it for a noob.

+1! A good dealer that will work with you, Educate you in water maintenance is worth his weight in gold!

Congrats on the new house & tub!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 07:36:06 am »
Welcome to the forum. What a way to get into the hot tub world.   Being in South Dakota, I wonder how far that local dealer is, but I would definitely start there.   Have you used it yet? How far is it from your door? I know I wouldn't use a hot tub that was set to 100 in our Ohio Winters. (Temp to keep your tub would start another debate)
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 07:36:06 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42