What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First drain & refill  (Read 10962 times)

av8r

Re: First drain & refill
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 09:57:38 am »
Quick question: what is the reason for using a pump to drain the tub?
 Can you not use the drain plug and connect a hose?
Thanks.

Speed.

I emptied my tub with a submersible in about 5 minutes.  Draining would have taken 30 minutes or more. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 09:57:38 am »

someguy

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2015, 10:11:42 am »
In response to Av8r's question as to how much Ahh-Some Hot Tub/Jetted Bath Plumbing & Jet Cleaner is needed as a maintenance dose (weekly).  Typically, that amount is 1/16 teaspoon per 100 gallons.  So, a 350-400 gallon hot tub would use about 1/4 of a teaspoon weekly.  There are 8 teaspoons of Ahh-Some gel in a 2 ounce container.  We did not set out to make this gel a maintenance product and still do not promote this aspect for usage on our label.  There are many hot tub owners who have tried this on their own and report very favorable results.  The key is to add the "just right" amount.  This can vary from tub to tub based on a plethora of reasons from water quality, temperature, filtration run time, pH, CYA, amount of usage, amount and type of sanitizer, and the overall water characteristics.  Very simply, you learn as you go.

Nhusan asked a good question also.  Why do you recommend a submersible pump to drain the hot tub after a flush or a purge?  Gravity draining alone from a spigot is too slow.  If biofilm was released into the hot tub while purging and allowed to aggregate on the shell sidewalls, being a very sticky gooey sugar molecule, it will be difficult to wipe off.  You MUST start rinsing and wiping the shell immediately after the purge process.  The submersible pump just evacuates the water more quickly, allowing you to finish the clean-up faster.  They are inexpensive and well,worth the investment.  Plus, you can drain the water in specific areas.

n.one.one

Fastest way to drain a spa
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 11:03:43 am »
One of the fastest ways to drain a spa is to use swimming pool vacuum hose as a siphon. I bought a 25 foot 1.25" hose and cut it into two sections.
  • Fully submerge a hose
  • Cap one end with your hand
  • Pull the capped end outside the spa to a level that is lower than the end that's in the water
  • Uncap the outside end to start the siphon effect
Since the end in the spa needs to stay at the bottom I attach the hose to a weighted pool vacuum head (any type of weight will do but the vacuum head works great).
By using two hoses my spa empties much quicker than using the drains or most submersible pumps. I use the 1.25" hose because it's easy to handle and store. Obviously the drain would be even quicker with 1.5" or 2" hose.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:11:29 pm by n.one.one »

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2015, 12:10:38 pm »
I don't mess around when draining/refilling  ;D here is what I use...1.5" pump with 1.5" pool backwash hose attached (as mentioned above a pool vacuum hose works as well) this setup will drain a 500 gal. spa in the blink of an eye :-)

amy2421

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2015, 12:36:07 pm »
This morning I went in the tub for the first time since draining & refilling. (My hope was to go in last night after Christmas dinner, but it was just too late.) In one specific corner, the same corner where most of the yellowish sludge congregated during our purge, I had a small amount of pinkish scum form on the bubbles and collect on the bottom of the headrest. I wiped it away with a cloth and it came back a couple of times. (Just a very small amount in that one corner.) Someguy, what do you suggest?

someguy

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2015, 12:53:29 pm »
Hi Amy:  The pinkish scum sounds like a small amount of residual bio-matter that wasn't fully emptied out.  You may see small amounts over the next few days.  Simply wipe it away.  You did good Amy.  Enjoy!

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2015, 02:30:32 pm »
Hi Amy:  The pinkish scum sounds like a small amount of residual bio-matter that wasn't fully emptied out.  You may see small amounts over the next few days.  Simply wipe it away.  You did good Amy.  Enjoy!

not to derail thread but can you pm me some info on where I can buy this for retail sale, we currently carry Sea Klear's system flush and also Swirl Away but I'm always on the lookout for better products and it seems results are pretty good with ahh some.......back to your regularly scheduled program

thanks

amy2421

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2015, 03:02:54 pm »

not to derail thread but can you pm me some info on where I can buy this for retail sale, we currently carry Sea Klear's system flush and also Swirl Away but I'm always on the lookout for better products and it seems results are pretty good with ahh some.......back to your regularly scheduled program

thanks

I used SwirlAway on an indoor whirlpool tub that had biofilm build-up. It was useless. I ran four or five cycles and kept getting biofilm, so I gave up and haven't used the tub in 8-10 years. I might try cleaning it now with Ahh-some.

Some guy, thanks for the advice, I'll just keep an eye on it and clean it up, glad to hear that it is relatively normal.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 03:29:03 pm by amy2421 »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2015, 03:24:35 pm »

thanks

Google aah some and give them a call. According to the guy I spoke to there they don't sell through distribution only direct. I spoke to Jerry (I think he maybe the owner) on Wednesday and he sent me out a free sample to try it out on my tubs I have on the floor.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2015, 03:22:26 pm »

thanks

Google aah some and give them a call. According to the guy I spoke to there they don't sell through distribution only direct. I spoke to Jerry (I think he maybe the owner) on Wednesday and he sent me out a free sample to try it out on my tubs I have on the floor.

thanks for the info. I'll call them direct sometime this week and order a case

kasandrich

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2015, 03:36:47 pm »
I'm a newbie not an expert, but I think I can answer that one, its purely about time, the drain tap and gravity with small bore hose could take 3 hours or more, but as you've seen above someone did it with a submersible pump in 20-25 minutes.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2015, 03:36:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42