What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Power Issue  (Read 2925 times)

WesleyL

Power Issue
« on: December 12, 2015, 04:36:37 pm »
Hello I got a hot tub from a friend and have gotten it hooked up. They said it was tripping breaker instantly when turned on so I figured Id trouble shoot to see if it was an easy fix.  Well I had to put a new heating element in as I broke off a stud when hooking the control box back after wiring the tub.  I tried to power up the tub with minimal water and everything came on and worked just fine. Even videoed it for a few seconds.  So I shut down the breaker and continued to fill up the tub, checking every once in a while to see if it was still good and it was. When the tub finally filled to the skimmer I went to turn on and let it heat up. As soon as I flipped on breaker I heard a pop at the tub. I still went to breaker thinking it was the GFCI tripping but nope breaker still in on position. I tested GFCI and still hot and the trip test button worked fine. Checked voltage at inlet wires on board and still 240, went to the wire connections on the board where the board hooks to heater and 240 there but now I am getting no power at control panel and the blowers/pumps do not start up when turning on. Like I said I hear a faint pop at the tub itslef. The heating element is not broken when I took it off to look.  I then just unwired the heater still nothing. I also unplugged the blower and both pumps and nothing.  I am getting voltage/continuity threw the plugs for them though. I check fuses and they are all good even the time delay fuse had continuity. Any help is appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

Power Issue
« on: December 12, 2015, 04:36:37 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Power Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 07:45:30 pm »
Frequently, turning on the tub without the proper amount of water in it can caused damage...and you did it multiple times? Long enough to video it?

However, your supposed hot tub is working fine.

Seriously, if your getting voltage to the heater, and all the plugs, as you say, it's working perfectly fine.

It might help to actually know what hot tub you think you have. Like a brand, model, year etc. (believe it or not, over the last 35 years or so, there's been a LOT of different hot tubs with different designs, configurations and electrical set-ups...hard to believe, I know). Also exactly how you're testing for the voltage you say is there.

*waving cane* GET OFF THE LAWN YA DAM KIDS
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

WesleyL

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 09:05:34 am »
Its a Hawkeye tub and I know they are no longer made.  Got a few aftermarket parts of course. Balboa controls with Hydroquip heater.  They few times i flipped breaker on I only left it on for about 15 seconds max and it worked until i turned breaker off. Did this 3 times and then completely filled up.  Like I said I heard a pop like a breaker tripping but the breaker didnt trip.  I did reset GFCI breaker although and tested wires coming into the box and they were good for 240. Then I traced wires to the top of the motherboard where the heater connections and all are and tested there with 240.  The small glass type fuses all look good with no breakage inside and the time delay fuse up top tested with good continuity.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 09:05:34 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42