What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Motor Died, replace spa pack as well?  (Read 2432 times)

KenZ71

Spa Motor Died, replace spa pack as well?
« on: November 09, 2015, 01:36:49 am »
Questions for the gurus:

My hot tub pump motor has gone kaput. While replacing the motor should I as long replace the spa pack?

I know that is more than twice the price but hear me out. Spa is about 8 years old, currently setup with 115 Volts for 250 Gallons. While it worked well it was not able to maintain temp while running for much more than 8 to 10 minutes during cold weather.

So, since 220 volt / 2 inch pumps seem more common am I better off doing both now?

If I do are there packs a bit more advanced than the current that only allows temps of 90 to 104 ?

I can upgrade the electric service to the tub, I know that will cost a bit too.

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Motor Died, replace spa pack as well?
« on: November 09, 2015, 01:36:49 am »

Drummerguy

Re: Spa Motor Died, replace spa pack as well?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 08:34:47 am »
Heres my take on that, add up the cost of everything that you wanna do...also weigh out if you bought your tub brand new...if you love your tub,which i am sure you do :) ....i would start with baby steps and replace what is broken OR pay a few bucks and have a service guy out and let them look at it to diagnose what is happening - you may as well have other issues going on...depends on brand-how much use it has had, alot of different factors ...may be better off getting a new one--more money BUT peace of mind is everything.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 06:45:03 pm »
Questions for the gurus:

My hot tub pump motor has gone kaput. While replacing the motor should I as long replace the spa pack?

I know that is more than twice the price but hear me out. Spa is about 8 years old, currently setup with 115 Volts for 250 Gallons. While it worked well it was not able to maintain temp while running for much more than 8 to 10 minutes during cold weather.

So, since 220 volt / 2 inch pumps seem more common am I better off doing both now?

If I do are there packs a bit more advanced than the current that only allows temps of 90 to 104 ?

I can upgrade the electric service to the tub, I know that will cost a bit too.

Check to see if the pac is convertible? If the pump is an easy fit then the entire control should also be easy. But it doubles your costs. You will likely not get any different features other than heating quicker and better for your soaks. and a more modern topside. Then you have to add the electrical line to the tub. If it's less than a grand total and the tub still lasts for a few years it might be a good ROI? Maybe even 1500?
Retired

KenZ71

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 09:31:54 pm »
I found what looks like an identical pump on Spaguts.com  so that is on it's way via FedEx

Thinking down the road when the spa pack gives out maybe at that point I'll do the upgrade.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 09:31:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42