What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Using economy or rest mode  (Read 9098 times)

av8r

Using economy or rest mode
« on: October 27, 2015, 08:18:31 am »
So our tub has an economy/rest mode where it does not poll (run the pump) every 30 minutes to determine water temp and only heats during a filter cycle.  Has anyone determined if this actually is a more economic way of keeping the temp up?  I'm assuming you'd want to set filter cycles around when you plan to use the tub.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Using economy or rest mode
« on: October 27, 2015, 08:18:31 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Using economy or rest mode
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 06:38:54 pm »
Yes, set it to filter after your soak or if it's a noise issue when you don't have to hear it. ECO versus steady temp, could go either way. A lot of calculations would have to be made. If it's in eco mode and your having to gain a bunch of degrees back heating it twice a day for heavy use might cost more? Light use it may be more economical. But not by much. How much time it had to heat to maintain temp versus how much time to get back to temp for use in eco mode. Location, how well it holds heat, peak vs off peak pricing structure. Tough one. I would guess there are more variables that I'm not thinking of.
Retired

av8r

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 09:21:04 pm »
Thanks, Tman.  I was hoping there was a general consensus like "ya, use it...works great" or "nope..it's a marketing thing...doesn't help"

I'll stick to my plan of running it normally for 30 days and then use the eco for 30 and see what happens.

lehacf

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 11:25:51 pm »
I am using rest mode as well. I have set 2 x one hour filtration cycles right before the time I am most likely to use the tub. This way it would heat the water for the time when I need it and not when tub is idling. After I am done with the tub it would automatically go through 30 minute long filtration cycle. So far I have not seen any issues with this approach.

orlando1

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 11:28:32 am »
Well it works great for me. I am in AL so take that with a grain of salt. But we have been having several nights in the low 40s with a few in the upper 30s, and so far, I haven't noticed a difference in my electric bill at all. I use my hot tub ever night and have it set at 101. The most the temp has dropped, has been two degrees. It's pretty much 100 at all times being set on 101. Maybe that speaks for the quality of the tub as well.

richierich

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 11:30:26 am »
I use economy mode in my sundance and it works out great for me. It has 4 heat/filter cycles that last an hour. Set up correctly to match the time of likely use the temp is never more than 2 degrees below set temp and is usually right at set temp.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 06:29:50 pm »
If you metered the tub I would bet there is very little difference in operating cost either way.

Spend 10 grand or more on a back yard recreation area, pretty much expand your living space for many hours of relaxation and enjoyment. And not going "out". And try and save 10-30 bucks a year?
Retired

richierich

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 06:53:03 pm »
If there is enough people like you Tman, that don't care about 10-30 bucks, I'll set up an account where they can deposit to my retirement fund. ;D

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 07:52:08 pm »
If there is enough people like you Tman, that don't care about 10-30 bucks, I'll set up an account where they can deposit to my retirement fund. ;D

I came up with the "brilliant" idea that if I can get 2 million people to give me a $1 a week and pay out $5000 to a lucky person a week - I can call myself a lottery ... 1,999,999 people will be told "you lost" with that 1 lucky person getting a great prize.

Anyone want in? :)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 09:17:44 pm »
I got a great idea to become a millionaire. Find a million people to give you a dollar for your idea. GO...........
Retired

Sam

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 02:03:43 pm »
So our tub has an economy/rest mode where it does not poll (run the pump) every 30 minutes to determine water temp and only heats during a filter cycle.  Has anyone determined if this actually is a more economic way of keeping the temp up?  I'm assuming you'd want to set filter cycles around when you plan to use the tub.

Thanks

If I recall, you have a Bullfrog.  Unless you rarely use your spa, keep it in standard mode.  I guarantee you won't notice a difference in your energy bill between the 2.  Bullfrog Spas are extremely energy efficient.  We are talking a matter of a few dollars per year.  Totally not worth it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 02:03:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42