What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Temporary location during reno - help  (Read 2504 times)

MattB

Temporary location during reno - help
« on: October 20, 2015, 03:05:34 pm »
Hey guys,

I've owned a Jacuzzi J-245 for several years now, it's in my backyard on a concrete pad. Absolutely love it. We've been discussing an addition to our house for a while now and have finally decided to go through with it, construction starts first week of November. The plan is to move the tub to another location on the yard, but still on a concrete pad. The problem I have is, the builder is advising me to not put it there during construction due to the risk of it getting damaged from falling rafters, other building supplies, you know how it goes. My question is, what should I do with the tub for the next few months then? I live in Manitoba, so it's going to be really cold really soon. Here's a list of options I think I have, let me know if you guys can think of anything else that might help:

1. Take the risk and just put it on the pad. maybe throw plywood over top of it to prevent damage
2. Drain it, winterize it and put it on the yard somewhere out of the way
3. Create a temporary pad out of railroad ties or something similar so I can continue to use it, then put it on the yard somewhere out of the way
4. ???

I don't really like any of the options that I have but, what would you guys suggest?

Hot Tub Forum

Temporary location during reno - help
« on: October 20, 2015, 03:05:34 pm »

av8r

Re: Temporary location during reno - help
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 06:08:48 pm »
How much risk you're willing to assume can only be determined by you.

I'd want it nearby and running all winter.

Good luck.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 06:58:34 pm »
Hey guys,

I've owned a Jacuzzi J-245 for several years now, it's in my backyard on a concrete pad. Absolutely love it. We've been discussing an addition to our house for a while now and have finally decided to go through with it, construction starts first week of November. The plan is to move the tub to another location on the yard, but still on a concrete pad. The problem I have is, the builder is advising me to not put it there during construction due to the risk of it getting damaged from falling rafters, other building supplies, you know how it goes. My question is, what should I do with the tub for the next few months then? I live in Manitoba, so it's going to be really cold really soon. Here's a list of options I think I have, let me know if you guys can think of anything else that might help:

1. Take the risk and just put it on the pad. maybe throw plywood over top of it to prevent damage
2. Drain it, winterize it and put it on the yard somewhere out of the way
3. Create a temporary pad out of railroad ties or something similar so I can continue to use it, then put it on the yard somewhere out of the way
4. ???

I don't really like any of the options that I have but, what would you guys suggest?

I think I'd make a temp pad, out of the way so you can get a better permanent spot for it after the rough construction. The final placement will be better than. Treated 4x4/6x6 and 3/4 treated plywood. On a good solid base.
Retired

amy2421

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 04:43:27 pm »
In addition to a plywood board on top, you could ask the contractor to build a temporary fence on the side that is most exposed to the potential for flying construction debris.

MattB

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 05:53:44 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions guys. I think I've decided to just put it on the pad amongst the construction (where it's supposed to be after everything is complete), this way I don't have to move it twice and furthermore, won't need to invest in building a temporary pad for it. The way I see it is, if I put it on a pad that isn't warranty approved, I'm risking damage either way. So I might as well take the route that's covered by house insurance.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 05:57:01 pm by MattB »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 05:53:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42