What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question about wet foam and refoaming tub ...  (Read 4683 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Question about wet foam and refoaming tub ...
« on: October 18, 2015, 09:51:55 am »
So based on my other post it looks like I found the leak and I am making sure that the repair is holding; I'm also looking to see if there are any more areas leaking.

So the tub has a lot of wet foam which I am scraping out but how far do I have to go? That foam is holding a lot of water...
I know that wet foam provides zero insulating properties but do I need to get all of it out - what happens when a tub is professionally repaired with a leak? And I know I am not a professional.

Then comes the question of refoaming ... I bought the Great Stuff foam that Home Depot sells in 2 different types. High expanding for areas that have nothing near it and I just want to fill large areas and windows and doors which is minimally expanding for areas around pipes - does this sound like a good plan? Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help!

Hot Tub Forum

Question about wet foam and refoaming tub ...
« on: October 18, 2015, 09:51:55 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Question about wet foam and refoaming tub ...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 11:27:59 am »
I came up with a second question ... Should I leave the cabinet open on that side before refoaming to let it dry for an extended period?

My only concern is that NJ is supposed to dip into the 20's and I would hate to leave that area open and possibly freeze. I could leave the side loosely on at night and take it off during the day if temps climb above 32 F.

Of course I should have done it during the summer but my wife's priorities were more important than my priorities!! LOL ;)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 02:37:56 pm »
I tried the Great Stuff big gap foam and it didn't expand as I thought it would so I think I am going to forget refoaming the tub.

It said it was good up to 3 inches and it barely expanded maybe because it is under 50 F out. I did put it into a few holes in the foam and I will keep tabs on it as the day progresses but I'm thinking unless it's that important I won't be trying to get foam in all the places it had before.

Sam

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 06:26:26 pm »
Just buy that pink rolled insulation and stuff it in there.  That's the easiest and most cost effective.  The spray stuff in a can adds up quick.  I doubt any professionals actually respray expandable foam in this application.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 07:04:24 pm »
 I have done both but never with the canned stuff. I use the 2 part foam available at Grainger http://www.grainger.com/product/4KK29?gclid=CKiHg6DSz8gCFQkuaQodtq0BNg&cm_mmc=PPC:GOOGLEPLAA-_-Adhesives,%20Sealants%20and%20Tape-_-Caulks-_-4KK29&ef_id=Vg0FmgAABakEpIm5:20151019230234:s It's available in several sizes. But using batten insulation stuffed in plastic bags and sealed is easier.
Retired

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 08:22:45 pm »
Thanks for getting back to me!

After seeing how much that spray in foam didn't expand I decided that the spray foam (Great Stuff) just isn't worth it so I went to H.D. and bought some polystyrene sheet insulation and some duct tape. :)

I cut a section out of the sheet insulation for it to fit the areas exposed to air that I ripped out and I also have it overlapping the original spray in foam a little, the duct tape is there to just keep it in place. The insulation has an R value of about 3.5 and all I'm thinking is to stop all the heat from escaping/cold from freezing pipes from where I ripped the insulation out; it isn't sealed as tight as a drum but hopefully that's all that's needed. When the tub gets to 100 F then the heat along with some insulation should keep it from freezing. 95% of the tub is fully foamed and that other 5% is either sopping wet FF insulation or this polystyrene.

I can now talk out of both sides of my mouth! I have a FF and thermopane hot tub ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 08:22:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42