What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Deck Stain  (Read 8414 times)

OnMedic

Deck Stain
« on: July 08, 2004, 10:45:23 pm »
Hey all,

Just working on a western red cedar deck around my hot tub and was wondering what feedback my friends here could provide on some high quality stain. We will be staining it "natural".

The two I am considering are Sikkens and Superdeck. Feedback or other suggestions?

Thanks

OnMedic
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 11:17:11 pm by OnMedic »

Hot Tub Forum

Deck Stain
« on: July 08, 2004, 10:45:23 pm »

naperguy12

Re: Deck Stain
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 12:05:02 am »
Sikkens is definitely a step above Superdeck.  Both top end products though.  You have yourself 2 good choices so flip a coin.... I prefer the Sikkens (if you can afford it) - LOL.  What Sikkens product?  Cetol I'm guessing..... Professional painting contractor here - so just do it......

Shut_Down_Stranger

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 12:48:14 am »
In the last 2 months consumer repors has had rating on deck stains.

I believe that Olympic stains were highly rated.

Electro

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 03:41:00 am »
Consumer Reports has tested stains for many years, in terms of longevity and appearance.  The best stains are Olympic Premium Acrylic Latex Stain 596xx and Sherwin-Williams Woodscapes Solid Latex A15.  The June 2004 issue says each lasted 3 years with excellent appearance and 6 years with a very good appearance, in typical weather conditions, sun, rain, snow, etc.  These are both opaque stains.

All semi-transparent and light stains failed miserably and are not worth buying and spending the time to use them.  Such stains require continous re-staining at least twice a year to maintain a presentable appearance.

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 04:28:58 am »
Great Post Electro
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to research your information.

Regards, Zz

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 06:09:04 am »
Horizontal traffic surfaces are tough on any stain. I used to use Olympic Naturel Cedar tone but it seemed to last about the same as the Sikkens which I didn't like because it was almost like a colored clear coat that flaked off in the traffic areas. I used Behr last time and it seemed to last a touch longer but it sure is easy to apply and reapply. And the cedar color is gorgeous.
Retired

OnMedic

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 08:00:28 am »
Electro - I do not want to use a opaque stain on my cedar. I would have purchased the cheaper pressure treated if i was going to use a solid colour. I want to see the colour and character of the wood, either natual or "Cedar" colour.

Upon a searh of the forum, there is not much on the stain topic. However, I did also find Cabot's has a good rep.

Here are my choices now, thanks to those posting suggestions. (Definitely not making my job easier). The Cabots it Alkyd and Linseed Oil base, which I assume is good!? I am comfortable with restaining the decktop yearly if need be to maintain a nice new "wet" look with the colour.

Sikkens (Cetol DEK Base & System or Cetol SRD?)
Olympic (Which Transparent Natual or Cedal tone?)
Superdeck (Transparent or Semi-Transparent Deck Stain)
Cabots (1400 or 7400?)

Thanks for all your feedback so far! I will go out with a peice of cedar and have my dealers paint a sample stripe of each product, and combine it with your feedback to pick the best for my application and personal appearance desires.

THANKS again,

OnMedic
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 01:39:33 pm by OnMedic »

OnMedic

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 08:23:51 pm »
In Canada, at least in my area, Canadian Tire is the only place that carries the Olympic line. Kinda like home depot meets K-Mart. When I took my peice of cedar in to have it sample stained, they weren't very receptive to the idea. So needless to say, Olympic is out of the picture. Here is what I have to choose from. Any comments/feedback on wear and product choices is appreciated.

1. Sikkens SRD - Natural(s)
2. Superdeck 1900 Series
3. Cabot 1400 Decking Stain - Clear(s)
3. Cabot 7400 Austrilian Timber Oil - Natural

Thanks

OnMedic
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 07:38:51 am by OnMedic »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 09:08:13 pm »
Everyone has their favorite. Sikkens is a good stain on new wood as are the others mentioned. The biggest issue is applying it right! Make sure the wood is completely dry and don't stain it until it has sat for awhile. Remember, more is not always better, most stains penetrate and to much will make a mess.

OnMedic

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2004, 10:27:25 pm »
Thanks Stuart,

I have found a good website that has a bunch of info on it at http://www.cedar-deck.org. it looks to be the Western Red Cedar association...?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 07:39:58 am by OnMedic »

billiam

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2004, 10:44:57 pm »
I have used Sikkens for about 17 years on my house and deck.

DO NOT USE SIKKENS ON YOUR DECK.
It works wonderfully on a vertical surface -- but is it like a "paint" and will flake.  Spent 1 month, removing decking, replaning and then re-attaching the deck.

Sikkens works best on "rough cut" siding -- very good
adhesion.  

OnMedic

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 10:54:02 pm »
Billiam,

Thanks for the feedback. I think we are going give Cabots a try. Ethier the Clear Natural or the Austrillian Timber Oil Clear. I will keep everyone up to speed on how it works.

Thanks for the heads up Billiam. You are not the first to say that!

OnMedic
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 10:54:31 pm by OnMedic »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 10:54:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42