What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What would be a fair price IYO for this Grandee?  (Read 3222 times)

rodger

What would be a fair price IYO for this Grandee?
« on: July 14, 2004, 08:43:40 am »
In your opinion, what would be a fair price for this HS Grandee?

2003 carryover

Floor model, with water and used for wet tests.

Pearl white

Spaudio (I don't care about this)

One scratch noticed on the top side, may be others, haven't checked closely

Asking price is $8550

Thanks for your time.

Rodger in northern MN

Hot Tub Forum

What would be a fair price IYO for this Grandee?
« on: July 14, 2004, 08:43:40 am »

KevinH

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: What would be a fair price IYO for this Grande
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 08:53:47 am »
I was quoted $9195 for the Grandee and $2000 for the sound system.

My HS dealer wasn't willing to lower prices much. The sound system is way over priced, but sounds nice.

HS dealer claims (and other store agree) there isn't as much markup in HS, and the company has priced them higher.

My HS dealer refuses to setup at the state fair, says he doesn't need to and its not worth the cost. Most people at the fair are looking for low end tubs.

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 09:00:12 am »
I paid $7800 (base price) for a 2003 year end grandee, plus tax, near Baltimore, MD.  Standard includes, except for spa steps and cover lifter which I did not need.

I think the grand total was 8,200 or 8,300 including tax and delivery.  Plus electrician's fees to hook it up. Hot Springs is nice in that they throw in the breaker box, but they don't also throw in an electrician to hook it up!  :'(

My wife and I actually preferred the 2003 model to the 2004.  We didn't like the waterfall, nor the new "sleek" controls which we found hard to grip when our hands were wet.  Of course we also have the rough white finish as pearl finishes tend to scratch (it sounds so odd trying to be practical and then spending $8k for a tub of hot water  :D ).

A couple of things for delivery of such a tub:

1) There is a hole cut in the side of the tub for the spa audio control box.  There is a standard and reasonable attractive cover plate screwed on to mask that hole. Make sure they put that on for you (and that they put on one big enough to cover the hole) when you have them remove the spa audio.

2) Pillows in a hot tub are only under warranty for 1 year, and the pillows in a demo tub are old.  Realistically these pillows can last 2-4 years, but why start out with used pillows.  We had our dealer put in three new pillows at no cost (they cost about $37.00 each).

3) Check all jets in the grandee. A cool feature (to us) of the tub is that many of the jets are removable, but some are held in with small plastic "nibs".  As you walk through the tub befor eyou buy ask that each jet be removed and inspected to be sure none of the nibs has bent or broken off.  Dealers take these off several times to show customers so they get *alot* of wear and tear.  These are all covered under warranty so it isn't a big issue, but why risk the inconvenience of a service call.

4) Make sure the tub comes with new filters.  We chose not to get the tri-x yet, as they wouldn't give us a discount/trade-in on the standard included filters to apply to the purchase of tri-x filters, so we decided to use the regular filters until they died and then upgrade.

5) Make sure they clean the spa after they drain it (if it was wet).  Look to make sure that the tile around the tub (if any) is clean and the grouting looks secure. This is also something only covered under a 1 year warranty that will have gotten some abuse after a year in a dealership.

The grandee is an absolutely *terrific* tub. We entertain frequently and often have at least 6 people in there.  You can run the jets and still talk, all seats are comfortable, and when it is just you and your SO you feel like you are in a warm, massaging pool.  I get in it every night it isn't raining!

-Ed

rodger

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 08:53:25 am »
Ed said "I get in it every night it isn't raining!"

How 'bout if it's snowing?"  : )  

Thanks for the excelllent feedback.

Rodger

www.keywestmn.com

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 09:46:19 am »
8)

Well you only need to worry about thunder and lightning.  My sister has had a hot tub flush-mounted in her deck for about 10 years now.  She keeps the temperature down around 97-98 and we can stay in it for *hours*.  It is especially fun when there is snow on the deck because you can stay warm in the tub but your beer stays cold in the snow.

That walk back in though.... that's the killer.  Well, that and the towels get pretty cold!  :o

OnMedic

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 10:37:33 am »
AHA! Does anyone have a towel warmer? I will look into this if anyone is interested.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 10:37:33 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42