What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Advice on a new tub.  (Read 3682 times)

Vjdslk

Advice on a new tub.
« on: October 17, 2015, 01:22:38 am »
I purchased a Tiger River Siberian 14 years ago and it has been fairly trouble free (replaced 1 heater and circuit board) and my family liked the layout.  The kids are now gone and the Wife and I are moving out of California to the Salt Lake City area. (Bullfrog?) We no longer need an 8 person tub.  The Wife thinks she only needs a 2-3 person tub, but I'm 6'3" (she's only 5'2") and think a 4-5 person tub makes more sense.

The problem I'm having is picking myself up off the floor from sticker shock!  I paid $6,400 for the Siberian which included ozone, chemical starter, cover, lift, delivery, install, and redwood steps.  Looks like a comparable 8 person tub is now at least twice that price and a 4-5 person is going to run over $8k.  It appears that every tub now has gimmicks like waterfalls, multi colored lights, stereos, loungers, etc.  The Siberian had a single light, great jets, and was reliable.  Are there any reasonably priced 4-5 person tubs that have good theraputic jets and reliability that don't come with all the gimmicks?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Jon D.

Hot Tub Forum

Advice on a new tub.
« on: October 17, 2015, 01:22:38 am »

BullFrogSpasMN

Re: Advice on a new tub.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 11:20:47 am »
yup, you're exactly right, now days your spending at least $6,500-$7,000 to get a decent spa.  It is simply what consumers demand so completely useless features or not manufacturers have to build what sells, and being a copy cat industry everyone follows suit

d00nut

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 01:01:12 pm »
Just inflation alone you are look at $9600-$10k for that same spa today.  Like my friend here above said, now spas have a bunch of extras that the industry pretty much demanded.  What are you meaning by "reasonably priced?"  Are you just trying to hit a certain budget?  The good news is, there is still hot tubs at every price point! 

Just know that the Siberian was a high-end fairly basic model in it's time.  14 years ago, $6400 was quite a bit of change... still is imo.  If you are staying in that same price range, you are probably looking (if you are staying with Hot Spring) at a Relay/Rhythm, which is far less of a spa than your Siberian.

Vjdslk

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 01:28:46 pm »
Thanks for the input guys.  I don't really have a set budget.  I'm just wondering what models (4-5 person) I should be looking at from the top companies like Sundance, Bullfrog, Hotsprings, Marquis, etc., that offer the best value that lean more towards substance like varied, powerful jets, quality cabinets, dependable electronics instead of waterfalls, disco lighting, and aroma therapy.

av8r

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 06:48:08 pm »
Thanks for the input guys.  I don't really have a set budget.  I'm just wondering what models (4-5 person) I should be looking at from the top companies like Sundance, Bullfrog, Hotsprings, Marquis, etc., that offer the best value that lean more towards substance like varied, powerful jets, quality cabinets, dependable electronics instead of waterfalls, disco lighting, and aroma therapy.
R series Bullfrog.  Don't know about the others, but they all have a more budget focused lineup.  Their websites have all the information you could ask for.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 07:58:06 pm »

Marquis I'd look at either the e-435 or e-545. 545 comes standard with 2 pumps and is a 7x7 tub with lounge. You can skip the fancy lights, fancy lights and whatever else you don't want. The 435 comes standard with a single pump and is 6 1/2 square with a Adirondack chair instead of the lounge. When you put a second pump on this tub you get lots of jet action. That pump with 2 pumps us what I'd wet test if you could

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 01:18:11 pm »

All those brands have something to offer besides their just their top of the line premium spas where they remove some of the special lighting, fancy waterfalls, etc. . Just go in and after checking out their fully loaded spas just ask them to show you something more in your budget and you should find something more appealing to your needs.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 04:09:05 pm »
Welcome to the forum. My wife and I also downsized a few years ago and we went with a 4-5 person tub.   2-3 person tubs don't allow for much moving around IMO.  I might buy one for just myself  ;)   
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Vjdslk

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 12:50:05 am »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  It's greatly appreciated!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 12:50:05 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42