What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pump question  (Read 2433 times)

SWTX

Pump question
« on: September 07, 2015, 11:25:35 pm »
my parents passed their old hot tub to us.
Upon first power up, we had a breaker tripping, and isolated that to the heater.
It's been running fine for the last week while we're waiting for a new heater to get here, but this evening I found the breaker tripped again. My husband told me the breaker tripped while he had been using it for about an hour over the weekend. This time it is pump 2, which was replaced a year or so ago. The breaker doesn't even TRY to hold when this pump is connected. I don't see any leaks or any visual indications of damage - nothing damp, corroded, discolored, etc.

Can anyone offer any insight, advice, point me to some food pump resources/diagnostics/etc?
Or did our newish pump just mysteriously fry?

This is a 2001 Caldera Tahitian Utopia, the pump is a Watkins XP2, model 39578

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:43:53 pm by SWTX »

Hot Tub Forum

Pump question
« on: September 07, 2015, 11:25:35 pm »

av8r

Re: Pump question
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 01:53:43 pm »
You're sure the breaker isn't defective?  It's not uncommon for them to fail.

At this point, you'd be best served hiring a licensed electrician, IMO.  You've published on a public forum that you're having issues with electrical in your home.  I'd not want to try to resolve that here.

Good luck.

SWTX

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 02:58:31 pm »
The breaker is brand new, installed by a licensed electrician, and holds so long as pump 2 is disconnected. I tested the voltage and it's good, but I probably will call them back just to double check everything.

I was just curious if there were any suggestions for testing the pump to see what the possible failure could be, or if there were others who encountered a similar situation. 

The hot tub was moved once, sat dry for 4 months, then moved again to our home. The heater wasn't functional upon arrival, and at its age, its failure was not a surprise.
The pump, however, was. It ran fine for a couple weeks and two separate long soaks until it tripped.

Thank you
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 03:23:47 pm by SWTX »

av8r

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 05:39:47 pm »
Breakers can be bad from day one.  It's called infant mortality and is the the most often cited failure with electronics.

Voltage won't play a part in this necessarily.  If the breaker is good and it's tripping then the load (amperage) is too high for the rating of the breaker.

If you want to test this, you'll need an inductive Ammeter.  They're not terribly expensive and will tell you what the true load is.

http://www.harborfreight.com/clamp-on-digital-multimeter-95683.html

https://youtu.be/ar7qkMHKw40

Otherwise, call your electrician back and ask them to troubleshoot and correct the issues for you.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 05:39:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42