What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 1st tap water test  (Read 3012 times)

Coleman

1st tap water test
« on: May 14, 2015, 12:43:40 am »
I finally got to the Jacuzzi dealer yesterday morning to get my tap water tested, I am looking for recommendations on what I need to get for  the hot tub. I know nothing about hot tub chemicals and water care. I know every dealers water test will be different  and being in a small town my water chemistry will be different every time, but its a start.
 Thanks Coleman

Free available chlorine   .56
Total Chlorine      .56
combined chlorine  0
PH level    7.4
total alkalinity    223
calcium hardness   359
cyanuric  acid     2
copper      .2
iron       .1
total dissolved solids    0
phosphates      50
saturation index     .6

Hot Tub Forum

1st tap water test
« on: May 14, 2015, 12:43:40 am »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: 1st tap water test
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 09:27:55 am »
 Alk is a bit high, everything else to me looks ok.

Quickbeam

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 11:21:00 am »
Yes, I would hazard a guess that with your TA that high, every time you aerate your tub your PH will sky rocket. You need to get your TA down to a level where it will keep your PH stabilized when you run all your jets (aerate your tub).

Sam

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 05:14:56 pm »
Are you on a well?  I would recommend using a pre-filter when you fill it.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 06:20:15 pm »
Yea this can be the most difficult type of water balance. Northern MN water is always low ALK/PH 60-80 ALK and 7.0-7.2

If you drive down your ALK you also lower PH, and acidic water is bad. But go to 7.0-6.8 on the PH and see where your ALK ends up before you do anything drastic. Going up on ALK/PH is easy with baking soda/soda ash if you pass it. IMO the worse of two evils is low PH.

Depending on the sanitation regimen you choose. This can also drive your adjustments to ALK/PH.

The rest of the stuff is fine but I would also recommend a hose filter for filling.

Dichlor always drives your ALK down, or is it up? No it's down. CYA. Haven't balanced water for a couple years. So building a small bank of CYA with dichlor and then using liquid bleach to stop the downward drift of PH, makes a lot of sense. I struggle with the disinfectant quality of liquid bleach versus dichlor but.....Bromine can also slaughter your ALK/PH down causing adjustments up. Which as stated are easy to fix without harsh chemicals like muratic acid/lemon juice.

Might take ya an entire water cycle or 2 to figure it out but don't panic, enjoy your tub. You may have to spend more time baby sitting it for your honeymoon from heavy use anyway. I recommend a strong disinfectant and no suits mostly.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 06:29:05 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

Coleman

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 02:02:17 am »
Thanks for the reply's  I don't have my tub yet I am hoping by the end of summer, I am trying to get my water care figured out beforehand. The city water comes from a near by well its a small city of 400 pop. I plan on using the dicor/bleach method after I get the water balanced. Some of balancing the water is a bit confusing to now but the more I read the better it will be, so I will be better educated in water care when I do get my tub. I will pre filter my water before filling the tub up.
Thanks again Coleman

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 07:27:20 pm »
The type of filtering can have an effect on how you manage water also. The important thing is, it's just water and you want to heat it up to sit in. It won't self destruct overnight if your doing something wrong. It takes many years to ruin a tub with poor water balance/sanitation. You'll figure it out in a lot less time than that.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 07:27:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42