What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Concrete?  (Read 9072 times)

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
Concrete?
« on: July 10, 2004, 12:29:03 pm »
Anyone know how long you need to let a concrete pad set before putting a tub on it?  I'm STILL waiting on our concrete guy to pour our pad and I'm probably about 4 weeks from the arrival of our Optima.  I remember him saying something about 28 days before you can stain it but I don't know how long before we could put the tub on it.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Hot Tub Forum

Concrete?
« on: July 10, 2004, 12:29:03 pm »

mcnoahfarm

Re: Concrete?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 01:41:47 pm »
I recently had a concrete pad poured for my hot tub.  I poured the concrete on Wednesday and the tub was delivered the following Tuesday.  My concrete guy said it took the pad about 3 days to be ready for the tub.  No problems upon delivery, even after they had to gently "dump" the tub to the floor and then again no problems when we dragged it around looking for the best set up position.

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 04:12:20 pm »
The concrete guys around here say four days. I'm not sure if thats the standard but thats what I tell my customers.

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 05:38:19 pm »
I poured a concrete pad for my hot tub and let it cure for about a week.  One thing that I read was the proper curing of the concrete was very important.  When concrete dries the top dries first (it is exposed to air) and that can trap moisture in the middle and bottom of the slab. (I'm sure someone more knowledge can explain this).

Apparently propery cured concrete can be 3-5x stronger than improperly cured concrete.

To counter that you were recommended to keep the top of the slab wet and covered for at least 3-4 days. We hosed ours off 2-3 times a day for 4 days to keep the top wet then assumed all was well.

-Ed
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 05:39:05 pm by ebirrane »

UnderTheStars

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 09:22:23 am »
Hi!  Logically, we think concrete cures by drying - Not True!  Concrete cures/gains strength by hydration.  That is, a chemical process caused by the interraction of water and the portland cement (the "active ingredient" of concrete.)

This means that if wet concrete is allowed to dry too quickly (before full hydration) it will be weaker than if properly cured.  A slab should be kept damp through the curing stage.  Concrete guys will tell you to sprinkle with the garden hose 3 times a day.  If you do that with a slab sitting in the sun, the surface dries out between "sprinkling."  In that case you've wasted your time with the hose.  

The best way to cure is to keep the surface damp CONTINUOUSLY through the cure.  Sprinkle the surface then cover it with plastic to hold the moisture in until you sprinkle again (3 times a day is good.)  You can up the odds that no portion of the surface will dry out by spreading a layer of straw, burlap, etc.  Wet that down then cover with plastic.

How long?  Concrete continues to harden for a period of years.  However, properly cured (see above) it will achieve 50% of its strength in 3 days.  It will achieve 80% of its strength in 7 days.  At that point the process slow greatly.  You can set the tub after 3 - 4 days but you'll have a significantly stronger slab if you wait & cure as outlined above for 7 days.

I'm digging right now for a 6" slab that will be re-inforced w/rebar (yes, that's overkill per most tub manufacturers.)  When I pour, as soon as the surface is "finished" I'll cover with burlap/sprinkle/plastic and keep it that way for 7 days.  I'll let it sit "open" for 1 day then land the tub.  BTW, the reason I'm going "overkill" (6"w/steel reinf.) is because a slab "floats" when portions of the ground freeze.  The stronger the slab, the better chance it will float as a single plane rather than crack.  The re-inforcing rods don't prevent cracks but help keep the slab in a single plane after cracks occur.  (Think about sidewalks that crack, then one side of the crack lifts and the 2 sections are out of plane.)

File this all under FWIW.  You can do your own research  by asking these questions of your concrete guy or go to the library - lots of "how to" books that will tell you all of the above.  Good luck to all, gotta go dig!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 10:24:56 am »
I poured a concrete pad for my hot tub and let it cure for about a week.  One thing that I read was the proper curing of the concrete was very important.  When concrete dries the top dries first (it is exposed to air) and that can trap moisture in the middle and bottom of the slab. (I'm sure someone more knowledge can explain this).

Apparently propery cured concrete can be 3-5x stronger than improperly cured concrete.

To counter that you were recommended to keep the top of the slab wet and covered for at least 3-4 days. We hosed ours off 2-3 times a day for 4 days to keep the top wet then assumed all was well.

-Ed

Thats the way my dad tought me and we laid a lot of concrete that really lasted.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Shut_Down_Stranger

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 11:23:58 pm »
everything posted has been good,

I was told 7 days minimum and 10 days is preferred.

the 28 days is the ultimate strength....

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 12:03:17 am »
I will land a spa at three days, before that it is just too easy to scar the surface with tools, moving the spa etc.

However: I won't fill till seven days have gone by.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 12:03:17 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42