What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa sanitation  (Read 4520 times)

Hopvader

Spa sanitation
« on: April 11, 2015, 04:18:13 pm »
Just purchased a Bullfrog A7 with WellSpring Ozone. Salesman was a chemist and very knowledgeable, suggested bromine floater or the Frog bromine/mineral system. Researching on line, spadepot.com site, rates the Clearwater Blue, copper ion system excellent in effectiveness, economy, and ease of use. For the past 15 years on a Grandee HoptSprings I used ozone, Nature2, and chlorine. The Clearwater Blue sounds to good to be true. Any comments?

Hot Tub Forum

Spa sanitation
« on: April 11, 2015, 04:18:13 pm »

chem geek

Re: Spa sanitation
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 04:45:23 pm »
Copper and silver alone without chlorine do not kill pathogens quickly.  See the table in this post for a comparison of kill times.

If the sales was truly a very knowledgeable chemist, then he'd know the differences in disinfection by-products between bromine and chlorine so at least had a discussion with you about your intended spa usage.  Does it have an ozonator?  [EDIT] I now see you say you do. [END-EDIT] Are you using the spa every day or two or only on weekends, etc.?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:29:40 am by chem geek »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 06:19:58 pm »
And now for the $64,000 question.

Guess who manufactures Clearwater Blue?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

chem geek

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 03:24:52 am »
Are you sure you didn't mean "Cleanwater Blue" that uses copper ions in what they claim is the proprietary formulation called CW-286?  I can't find anything on "Clearwater Blue".

As noted in this product label, the EPA registration number for the product is 64962-1-82043 and the registration is the following:

EARTHTEC
EPA Registration Number:  64962-1
Company Number:   64962
   EARTH SCIENCE LABORATORIES, INC.
   113 SE 22ND STREET, SUITE 1
   BENTONVILLE  AR   72712
   800/257-9283

Earth Science Laboratories also makes Pristine Blue®.

This company as well as others making pesticidal claims got into trouble a few years ago and they had to re-register their products and stop making false and illegal claims.  They now can only say "To control algae and nonpublic health bacteria and bacteria that causes odor problems in residential spas and hot tubs" where they can no longer make the general claim of killing bacteria.  This is because copper ions do not kill fecal bacteria and generally they kill other bacteria too slowly.  The product is unable to pass EPA DIS/TSS-12 so cannot make disinfection claims.

spadepot.com sells and distributes this product, but it is manufactured by Earth Science Laboratories.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:27:35 am by chem geek »

Hopvader

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 01:47:17 pm »
Sorry about the typo, I meant Cleanwater Blue.
Chem geek, thanks for the research. It sounds like the ozone , plus a bromine floater is the best for our moderate usage - 2 people 2 to 3 times a week.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 07:45:41 pm »
Sounds like the perfect usage for a little dichlor after every soak? No odor next soak. Learn the PPM you need to allow dissipation in a few days. Between soaks. Watch CYA switch to bleach half way through a water cycle.
Retired

dporter22

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 11:21:44 am »
I just purchased an A7 with ozone also and my dealer set me up with Nature 2 and chlorine.  I had intended to use bromine in a floater, but he said to just add a little shock after each use, run the filters regularly, and add chlorine if needed every other week or so.  It's only been a week so I don't yet know if this will be effective in the long term.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 11:24:01 am »
I just purchased an A7 with ozone also and my dealer set me up with Nature 2 and chlorine.  I had intended to use bromine in a floater, but he said to just add a little shock after each use, run the filters regularly, and add chlorine if needed every other week or so.  It's only been a week so I don't yet know if this will be effective in the long term.

My guess is you will be adding more chlorine than every other week.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 11:24:01 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42