What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question For Those Who Have Purchased a NEW Hot Tub in the Last Year  (Read 7004 times)

Sorrentino100

What did you purchase? Why? What options? How much did it cost? Any regrets? Anything you would do differently if you had it to do over again?

I'm in the market for a new tub and wanted too get some informed feedback as part of my research.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Quickbeam

Re: Question For Those Who Have Purchased a NEW Hot Tub in the Last Year
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 03:55:54 pm »
I’ll tell you what we purchased, but I’m not sure this type of information is going to do you much good. If people have purchased spas in the last year, if it’s a decent spa there is very little chance that something will go wrong. As a suggestion, you might want to ask who has had a spa for 10 years and what their experience has been.

In any case, we purchased a Jacuzzi J-345 earlier this year. We put our spa up on a roof deck and were restricted in size. The largest spa we could have was 7’ x 7’. Originally I thought we might want larger, but as it turns out we are very happy with this size. It is mostly just my wife and I, but we do entertain, and it is still very comfortable with 4 in the spa. You can fit 6, but it is a little squeezed. So all in all, we are so far very happy with our purchase.

I should also mention that originally I wanted a lounger. We wet tested the J-335 which is the exact same size as the J-345, but the J-335 has a lounge. Both my wife and I floated out of the lounge seat, so we went with the J-345 and again we are very happy with the spa.

I’ve said it before on this forum, and I hope you don’t mind me repeating myself. If you are in the market for a new spa the three most important things to do, in no particular order, are

1. Get a spa from a manufacturer that has a good reputation for build quality, etc.

2. Only buy from a dealer you feel comfortable with. For me, if I had to, I would pay more to go with a dealer that I thought would be there for me if there were problems down the road.

3. Wet test, wet test, wet test. You may find a spa you love, only to find it is not all that comfortable for you once you actually try it out.

Best of luck to you on your search. There are a lot of great people on this forum who will help you with your questions. Please also let us know how you are making out!

MarcP

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 11:42:26 pm »
I've been reading the forums for a few months and never posted.  Now here I am!  After learning so much from the people here, I felt compelled to write a little something.

We bought a Coast Spas Vantage (don't see that brand discussed a lot here) back in September.  The reputation of the brand played one part of the decision and the dealer was the rest.  We went with a dealer that had a stellar reputation with our community and spoke to owners who bought from that dealer.  I had to call once on them because of a problem with pump #2 which turned out to be an embarassing air lock, but they dispatched someone the very next day to fix it and show me how to fix it myself in the future. 

The dealer, how they stand by you and behind their product plays as much of a role as the brand you choose.  We're in our 3rd month with our 7'x7' spa and we love it!  And the water maintenance is a lot easier than I expected.  If the dealer you're considering has a facebook or twitter account, see what others are saying and how they are handeled.  That can speak volumes.

Sam

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 11:28:40 am »
I've been reading the forums for a few months and never posted.  Now here I am!  After learning so much from the people here, I felt compelled to write a little something.

We bought a Coast Spas Vantage (don't see that brand discussed a lot here) back in September.  The reputation of the brand played one part of the decision and the dealer was the rest.  We went with a dealer that had a stellar reputation with our community and spoke to owners who bought from that dealer.  I had to call once on them because of a problem with pump #2 which turned out to be an embarassing air lock, but they dispatched someone the very next day to fix it and show me how to fix it myself in the future. 

The dealer, how they stand by you and behind their product plays as much of a role as the brand you choose.  We're in our 3rd month with our 7'x7' spa and we love it!  And the water maintenance is a lot easier than I expected.  If the dealer you're considering has a facebook or twitter account, see what others are saying and how they are handeled.  That can speak volumes.

Awesome!  Thanks for sharing your experience.  Coast has some cool designs.

Happy Hot-Tubbing!

MarcP

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 10:08:56 pm »
I'm up in Alberta, Canada.  Just had a night of -40 (that's both Celsius and Fahrenheit) and the tub survived without problems.  The snow on the cover and around the cabinet isn't melting so that is telling (I hope) of the insulation.  Next will be the electricity bill in a few weeks. he he he

summerside9000

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 12:43:25 pm »
yup I hear you about the temps as I am up here too. My cover has 12 inches of snow on it!
I thought I bought from a reputable dealer here in Edmontown but no sooner than I bought the tub and had it for less than a year they up and left town.
Now any service is provided by the other dealer (thank god) as they have been in business here for 25 years and have accommodated but I have to pay for service calls which they do but it should have been included. Thanks for that Jacuzzi. NOT. 3 service calls I paid for in one year.
The tub is nice but what a hassle from the last guys who left me and all the other customers with a middle man to deal with it.
The only advice i an give to you is buy from a reputable dealer NOT brand and base your decision on that. You will be happier having the support in your own town and with the brand you selected.
My current situation has me feeling like I am over staying my welcome like a relative that never leaves.
Keep in mind that the dealers are salesmen and once the sale is done the service usually goes with it.

Get prepared to perform maintenance and fix stuff yourself as the results will be be better than some inexperienced new hire that is paid hourly and has not been trained or has professionalism. Its really all about the dealer and how they conduct business that will make the difference.

I could post the disaster letter I sent to my "dealer" but I am beyond that now as I fix or replace the parts myself as I expected more from the name brand outlet and got a cold shoulder once I started pushing for service.

Maybe that's why they left town but I wasn't the only one who bought from there. We were all burned by you know who.

After the bugs are worked out. (usually takes a year the tub works well and is predictable) Up here go for the insulation. ease of access to the controls and the heater. If manufacturer's could make a tub that only the front panel has to come off for access that would be a plus but that is unlikely given the lights and jets all over the place.

Stereos are great as long as they work. remotes as well. and the status light is good to know that all is good without having to open the lid.(I had to replace that too) and it still sometimes doesn't work.

If you are at all mechanically inclined, before you bring your tub home have the dealer remove all the external panels and you inspect the internals for loose wiring missing insulation and faulty workmanship, screws missing or rolling around, Fix it up as you would do yourself as the kinked wires and general disarray of the set up will prevent issues in the future.

I dare ANY manufacturer to prove me wrong.

DaveMc

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 12:45:08 pm »
What did you purchase?---Optima
 Why? Replace a creative energy tub with heat exchanger---mother board went out 5 years ago
What options? Eco Wrap
How much did it cost? 10K
Any regrets? NO----except that in California the cost per KW($0.31) is 300% of what the vendors use as a base cost ($0.11)--very misleading.
Anything you would do differently if you had it to do over again?--I would ask for and get---a one year babysitting commitment from the dealer.  He forgot to include the eco wrap so he gifted me the WiFi unit---but I should have had him install and test it---

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 10:29:48 am »
DaveMc,

What do you think of your WiFi?    I got one with my Artic Klondiker and absolutely love it.

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 11:00:05 am »
What did you purchase? Why? What options? How much did it cost? Any regrets? Anything you would do differently if you had it to do over again?

I'm in the market for a new tub and wanted too get some informed feedback as part of my research.

Thanks!

I don't know if you are still in the market for a hot tub, since you haven't responded since your initial post, but here goes:
I bought the following hot tub from Artic Spas:

Klondiker Legend (one of their 8 foot series)
Peak II Ozone System
ECO PAK
WIFI
Cover Assist Lifter (very heavy duty)
36" 2 tier cedar steps (very nice, especially in snow)
Forever Floor
Startup Chems (everyone gives you this)
Cedar Cabinet (love it)

I love the tub and am very pleased with my purchase.
Total cost was $9750 , USD,  Delivered.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 11:48:08 am by rosewoodsteel »

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 11:02:38 am »
BTW, I got a number of other options with my tub, as well.   PM me and I can provide additional information.

DaveMc

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 08:43:42 pm »
My Wifi doesn't work yet--is in "troubleshooting" mode!!!

Sorrentino100

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 03:04:23 am »
I have been continuing to research and visit dealers to view their offerings and obtain brochures. I've seen Dynasty Spas, Master Spas, HotSprings, Jacuzzi, Beachcomber dealer was closed the day I went, and Artesian Spas. Previously have wet tested a Caldera Tahitian and Bullfrog R7.

It seems as though there are a couple of sales strategies based upon price point. I don't actually know what a dealer makes on a sale of an average tub, I'd guess between three- and four-thousand dollars. If that's the case, there are dealers selling $7500 hot tubs and those selling 10- 11K hot tubs. Both probably making similar profit but the lower price point retailer may have an easier time selling at a lower price point.

One of the dealers had many tubs on the floor but does not provide wet testing. I found that surprising but they said the lack of wet-testing availability has not hurt their sales. I know for certain I'd need to wet test before I'd purchase.

I know I enjoy a pulsing jet for massage action.

HotSprings were very professional. The dealer I visited only carry HotSprings and I felt the MotoMassage DX with my hand in the water and it has the pulsing sensation that I enjoy. It also had, hands down, the best control panel of any manufacturer I've seen thus far. The ACE system seems simple to use, I'm a bit concerned about the overall cost of utilizing the system versus a conventional Chlorine system. HotSprings seems to have the best marketing and customer friendly information both in brochures and in videos. I can see why they are perhaps the leading manufacturer in hot-tub sales. They do make a concerted effort to stay on top of things and to present their product well to the end consumer. The Envoy model is the one I'm most interested in.

I went back to Bullfrog; they'd moved their location since the summer and I did not realize the store I was entering was a Bullfrog dealer. I had wet tested an R7 earlier this summer and I floated in the seat. I sat down in one the other day, dry, and the seating position just wasn't right.

Sundance has the Cameo, and I'll be wet testing that. As well as a similar Jacuzzi model.

The jet feel is very important to me, so that will play a big role in which spa I choose. Plus, I certainly don't want to be floating or having seats with jets that don't fit my likes. So, if there are a variety of jets that can be swapped if I don't care for them, that would be helpful.

LA Spas makes an Oasis model which I'm interested in taking a look and test in.

I really do get a good feeling with the HotSpring's Envoy. I have the impression that HotSpring's are very much engaged in manufacturing and marketing a quality product. I was just looking at their Highlife brochure and on the back inside cover is their warranty. In black and white, no guessing. You don't see that on a lot of other manufacturer's brochures.

Any feedback from user's of the MotoMassage DX would will be greatly greatly appreciated, as well as those utilizing the ACE system.

That's where I'm at at this point. I'll keep you posted and would love more responses.

Thanks!

castletonia

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 09:59:51 am »
Just wanted to give you a heads up that LA Spas was just purchased by Maax Spas and their operations are going to be moved from California to Arizona.  I would personally avoid them right now and its not because LA Spas makes a bad product, because I don't think they do (I sold them for 2 years), but because with the transition I would want to wait until the dust settles which will likely be after your search is over.

aeajr

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 08:59:32 am »

Thanks!

Installed a Marquis Spirit in May 2013.   I think we paid about $8000 for it.  Has pretty much everything except a music system.   

I had a concrete pad installed and had the tub professionally installed.   I did the wiring.  My wife uses it almost ever day.   The only problem we have had is that we find we need to add supplemental bromine in a float.  The bromine levels produced by the built in system is not enough.   But that is no big deal.   Just keep an eye on the chemicals.

I think I have drained it twice in the time we have had it, just for good measure.   It goes cloudy from time to time if we don't keep an eye on it but easy enough to address.

In October 2013 I installed an acrylic greenhouse around/over the hot tub so that it would be more comfortable for my wife to use it in the winter.  She used it all last winter during one of the coldest and snowiest winters I can recall on Long Island, NY.  The temperature might have been around 10 degrees F when she went out to the tub.  But after having the lid open and the greenhouse door closed for 30 minutes, it was between 40 and 50 in the greenhouse which made drying off much more comfortable.   

Even with 16 inches of snow on the ground and 25 mph winds, we could use the hot tub inside the enclosure.  The greenhouse/enclosure has worked out extremely well.  And I think it is saving on electricity.  Don't know if it will pay for itself but it definitely makes a difference in the summer and the winter.

Overall, very happy with the tub and the enclosure and would do it again.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:07:20 am by aeajr »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 08:59:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42