What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electrician wants to drill hole in tub shell? Is this normal?  (Read 12344 times)

Alucardx03

Hi everyone. I just purchased a brand new 2012 Destiny River Legacy for a great deal. This is my first ever hot tub and I'm super excited to get it going. Long story short, we were planning on getting a hot tub later in the summer, when everything was ready, but found this deal which required immediate delivery. So right now, it's sitting smack dab in the middle of our patio waiting for a dedicated slab and hookup.

I had an electrician out to my house today. He was recommended by the local spa dealer and seemed to know his stuff. However, he said something that struck me as weird and I was hoping someone could provide some clarity.

He said that he'd need to drill into the side of the hot tub to run the conduit in. The spot he indicated was on the lefthand side of the shell, towards the front, about a foot off the ground. Is this a normal procedure? I've seen other brands that include dedicated channels for running wire that don't require permanently altering the hot tub, but the manual for my hot tub doesn't mention such a feature. Also, that seems like a very conspicuous spot, doesn't it? Won't that look like an eyesore? Finally, if drilling is necessary, do most electricians seal the hole around the conduit in some way? I'd be worried about insects getting into the shell.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Hot Tub Forum

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Electrician wants to drill hole in tub shell? Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 05:45:15 am »
As long as you are not talking the shell where the water goes but the skirting of the exterior - then yes this can be normal if your tub doesn't have provisions to get electrical inside.

My tub came with caps on the corners where the electrical can go so they were pre drilled, I like those locations as it doesn't interfere with removing the side panels.

My tub is not on a slab but I've read where some people run the conduit under the slab and come into the electrical compartment from underneath - that takes a lot of planning.

Trifecta

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 11:08:24 am »
Agree with Vinny's concern on panel access down the road to fix a leak, etc.

If the manual is silent on any electrical knockouts, I would call the manufacturer for advice on common practices...

Good Luck!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 01:57:39 pm »
 I can't imagine any electrician drilling through the "shell" Like Vinny mentioned he most likely meant the skirt surrounding the spa.  Usually it's a 3/4 to 1" hole for the conduit and is normal on spa's without a knock out. 

Budule

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 04:35:13 pm »
I wouldn't want to see that in the side of my tub.......you said you haven't  poured the pad yet so why not trench in some conduit and bring it in through the bottom?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 07:40:43 pm »
I wouldn't want to see that in the side of my tub.......you said you haven't  poured the pad yet so why not trench in some conduit and bring it in through the bottom?

My only thing with this is the pumps and their locations and if there is a floor in the tub. My tub has 3 pumps on the floor so not too much room to "get it right" ... of course that's me and I have been known to measure 4 or 5 times, cut once and get it wrong ... I have sworn off of expensive home projects!  ???

Budule

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 07:47:34 pm »

My only thing with this is the pumps and their locations and if there is a floor in the tub. My tub has 3 pumps on the floor so not too much room to "get it right" ... of course that's me and I have been known to measure 4 or 5 times, cut once and get it wrong ... I have sworn off of expensive home projects!  ???

well , yes , it would take some measuring ....but he has the tub there already so it should be fairly straight forward to look in the tub and see where the best place is , then transfer that to the pad......the only other option for me would be to "hide" it with the steps or a bench or a planter (cut a slot in it ? )  but my OCD would drive me crazy if I could see it.......

doodle

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 08:14:01 am »
When our tub was installed the electrician did need to drill into the outer skirt.  However, he wanted to drill into the front face of the spa (better for him).  I requested he drill in from the side and then route the wiring (better for me).  Yes, he had to put in a little effort to do it, but seriously, I knew it would really irk me to see the cable come out of the front of the tub!  So, I'd say it probably isn't that unusual to need to drill into the skirt, but just make sure what he's doing makes sense and he isn't taking a shortcut that you are going to hate. 

My tub is a different brand, and so you'd have to judge what's best with your tub -- he may have a valid reason for his location choice.  I was worried about second guessing the professional when it happened, but once he was doing the work I felt like what he had to do was not harmful to the tub -- he was just trying to save his labor.

I'd be super concerned about drilling into the actual shell though.

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 12:30:17 pm »
I came in at the back corner of my tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 12:30:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42