What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HELP - WHAT TO DO ABOUT TREE ROOTS IN PAD AREA  (Read 2980 times)

Newbie in Wisconsin

HELP - WHAT TO DO ABOUT TREE ROOTS IN PAD AREA
« on: May 15, 2014, 03:24:43 pm »
I am a new hot tub owner and very excited to get my tub.  However, when I went to dig out the site of my pad I discovered MASSIVE Tree roots.  The options for where I can locate the HT are limited and I really want to stick with this space.  Is it possible to level a pad (around and over the roots) with crushed rock to soil level and then stake a frame of 4x4s and build up 4 inches of crushed rock on top of that or am I asking for trouble?

Any alternatives?

Thanks a lot.

Hot Tub Forum

HELP - WHAT TO DO ABOUT TREE ROOTS IN PAD AREA
« on: May 15, 2014, 03:24:43 pm »

Topline Mike

Re: HELP - WHAT TO DO ABOUT TREE ROOTS IN PAD AREA
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 05:42:13 pm »
I wouldn't add gravel over the roots and set a tub on it.  If the tree is alive, it will continue to get bigger, and if the tree is dead, the roots will eventually rot and cause a sink hole.  I think your only options are to cut the roots out, or build a raised deck like a did.  If you've ever walked down a sidewalk where the trees in the terrace are now huge, the roots have heaved the walk up substantially.  I'm working on Johnson St. in Madison right now, and the sidewalks are up and down because of the old trees.  I used 2X8's, about 1' on center to support the tub.  4X4's at the corners down about 5'. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 07:38:51 pm »
Make sure you expect to ruin the chainsaw chain and have a spare chain. And only cut what needs to be cut or you could loose the tree.

No other alternative except raised deck over them and footings for support.
Retired

Newbie in Wisconsin

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 09:49:56 pm »
Thanks guys.  I was afraid of that but I don't want to risk damaging the tub either.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 09:49:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42