What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2nd hand hot tub buying guide  (Read 2823 times)

iceno9

2nd hand hot tub buying guide
« on: April 28, 2014, 08:23:17 am »
Hi All,

So i am totally new to this game and need some advice.....
I simply cannot afford nor justify spending £5-15k on a hot tub and am therefore looking at the second hand market around the £1500-£2000 mark. I am after a standard 2.2meter square tub and really just want some advice on what to look for, what to avoid etc.

One thing i do know is to avoid the rubbish Chinese machines and therefore i will stick to the branded products, but many i have not heard of....i know Jacuzzi, Artic Spas, Canadian spa, Beachcomber...what else are worth looking at?
What manufacture offers good value for money when compared to features and which are you just paying for name?
Are any particular spa's better with the heat retension than others?

Are most spas this size 3-wire or 4-wire ont he mains side? I want to get the cable down in preparation. Also - are most spas this size about 30A peak?

Any help or guidance will be appreciated.

Cheers
Matt

Hot Tub Forum

2nd hand hot tub buying guide
« on: April 28, 2014, 08:23:17 am »

Topline Mike

Re: 2nd hand hot tub buying guide
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:47:08 am »
Besides the ones you mentioned, some of the other high end brands would be Marquis, Hot Springs, Bullfrog, and Sundance. 

My family bought a used Jacuzzi J375, one year old.  No warranty with a used tub, but you can save a lot of money this way. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 11:18:44 am by Forum Admin »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 11:24:28 am »

I like brands like Caldera, d1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance so you're on the right track. The key with used ones is to see the spa filled and up to temperature so you can fully inspect it and be assured its fully operational. Energy efficiency varies from brand to brand to some degree but if its a fully foamed spa it should do well though make sure the cover is not heavy (water logged) and that it seals well or you'll need to account for getting a new one.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

iceno9

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 12:14:10 pm »
Ok thanks for the tips.

Anyone else with any advice/comments?

What about wiring....anyone an expert there that can address my questions?

Thanks
Matt

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 06:38:16 pm »
We can give advice on wiring but your local codes dictate it mostly. You should familiarize yourself with those codes to determine if doing it yourself is the right choice. I am sure there is high, 4 wire, and low, 3 wire voltage options there also? Looks like whatever power they use in Britain/Aussie/Europe different from here?
Retired

Pers Onal

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:53:32 am »
Power feed is a different ball-game where you are.

Be sure to consult local professionals.

The US is 120 Volt AC.

The UK is different.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:53:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42