What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Repair or buy new?  (Read 2589 times)

5whales

Repair or buy new?
« on: March 30, 2014, 04:43:04 am »
About 10 years ago, I bought a Riptide Spa (now out of business) from Colorado (I think) and had it transported to Kauai.  It started leaking a few months ago.  The first leaks we found were easy to fix.  They were right where the white plastic pipes went into and out of the heater.  However, the leaking is worse now.  Even with the spa turned off, the water level falls down 6 inches overnight, exposing the top jets.  The spa, unfortunately, had to be built into an enclosed deck (part of a screened lanai).  Worst way ever to install a spa, but local regulations forbid changing the footprint of the original house and on this island, vacation rentals in non-conforming use areas (non-visitor designated areas) are denied the privilege of ever being granted a building permit.  The spa originally sat on a concrete pad next to the house, but due to a new Planning Commission ordinance, had to be moved to inside the lanai or we would not be granted the new permit required of vacation rentals.    So now, it sits on a concrete pad which is under the floor of the lanai.  The only access door is the one where the heater is.  I don't know where the pump is located.  The plumber came to look at it, and said the sides of the spa are up against the floor joists of the lanai.  He can't repair it without tearing open the walls of the lanai and pulling the spa out of the lanai.  So, if I opt to have the leaks repaired, it is going to involve a contractor, plumber and carpenters.  I should also mention the jet nozzles are falling off and there is no way to put them back on.  On Kauai, spas are really expensive.  The spa alone is going to cost $12K plus tax, plus installation costs.  However, my vacation rental books so much better since I got the spa.  I am looking at a Hot Spring Aria.  Should I invest in fixing my old spa, or just bite the bullet and buy new? 

Hot Tub Forum

Repair or buy new?
« on: March 30, 2014, 04:43:04 am »

rosewoodsteel

Re: Repair or buy new?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 08:46:13 am »
Sounds like it is time for a new tub to me.  I would ensure, however, that you have better access this time around.

dunecritter

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 11:43:01 am »
Sounds like you really have no choice as to relocating a new tub and with the age and issues starting to surface with your existing tub your best bet would buy a new quality Brand Name tub that has a good Warranty...Especially being a rental property. Buy a new Spa and enjoy collecting revenue from your rental with the peace of mind knowing that your new tub is not leaking and you do not have to deal with tearing up your lanai and floor/walls. Its one thing to repair a 10 year old spa with easy access but in your case...way too much involved every time you have an issue. My .02 cents worth.

Pers Onal

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 11:40:23 pm »
New spas can develop leaks too.

Far less likely, but it happens. Even on a warranty repair, the owner has to ensure access for the warranty repairman.

Whatever you do, you have to be able to work on the spa, possibly put it up on it's side to get to a leak you cannot otherwise reach.

Find a solution to access is the most important question here. New spa or not is secondary.

A new spa may not solve your problem.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 11:40:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42