What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Just bought a used cal spa from a friend  (Read 5831 times)

Johnnyjet

Just bought a used cal spa from a friend
« on: February 20, 2014, 07:51:59 pm »
I had a budget of 4000 and got this 2 year old tub for 3000.  I know it has two pumps led lights and a lounge. In the past I had an artesian dove canyon, had problem after problem with that one.  When I get the new one up and running ill post up some pics.  I know cal spas don't have the best rep but I got to see this one run and everything works like new.

Hot Tub Forum

Just bought a used cal spa from a friend
« on: February 20, 2014, 07:51:59 pm »

Johnnyjet

Re: Just bought a used cal spa from a friend
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 03:48:32 pm »
I guess my concern is what seems to be the biggest fault with a cal spa tub

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 04:09:40 pm »
 The company as a whole is what's at fault.    Cal-spas are like Bayliner boats, once you get the kinks out they run fine, so if he has had no problems you should be fine..  If something breaks or fails you can pretty much get parts on line.  Most of the bad reviews you see from customers should be more directed at their dealer and not Cal spa directly well some anyway..   I don't care how much you spend or which brand you buy,  the spa is only as good as the dealer  that has to take care of it should it fail under warranty.. 

Johnnyjet

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 04:56:27 pm »
That's what I figured thanks for the reply

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 06:35:27 pm »
The company as a whole is what's at fault.    Cal-spas are like Bayliner boats, once you get the kinks out they run fine, so if he has had no problems you should be fine..  If something breaks or fails you can pretty much get parts on line.  Most of the bad reviews you see from customers should be more directed at their dealer and not Cal spa directly well some anyway..   I don't care how much you spend or which brand you buy,  the spa is only as good as the dealer  that has to take care of it should it fail under warranty..

Yea I would agree with this. They have made some improvements from crappy to mediocre. They sell a lot of tubs and they streamlined the manufacturing process to make them fast. This leads to a few corners being cut but overall not bad.
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 06:55:05 pm »
 Honestly when we were selling them it was the lesser mdls in their Family series that had the least problems almost zero.   The escape and next series up always had something.  Usually that fancy heater system with the sensors was a high failure rate.. 

Johnnyjet

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 10:37:51 pm »
Ok here's the update on my new to me cal spa escape. It's perfect.  The perimeter LED lighting is great. The jets are better then my previous artesian tub because the actually spin freely. I love the ergonomics of the seating, each seat does a different muscle area.  My artesian did also but the pressure of the jets seems better.  I hope the reliability of this 3 year old unit is better than the piece of junk artesian I had.  My artesian was a lemon btw.
My only concern with the cal spa is the filtration.  It's only got 1 filter cartridge opposed to the 3 I had in the artesian.  So far so good the water is perfect. 

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 10:30:10 am »
My biggest concern is, if the tub craps out will you still have a friend?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Johnnyjet

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 07:37:27 am »
We were never that close......lol

Johnnyjet

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 07:38:56 am »
Tub is fantastic so far. Everything is working great, water is clear, I couldn't be happier.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 07:38:56 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42