What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: help me design a stainless hot tub  (Read 5991 times)

4x4fab

help me design a stainless hot tub
« on: January 29, 2014, 06:27:26 am »
I know this may sound bizzare, but I want to build a stainless hot tub in my basement. I'm a fabricator, doing the work is no issue at all. I know the concerns........ Welding fumes, I can vent...... Humidity, no problem.
Right now my basement is unfinished and 100% dry. I'll keep the tub covered very well when not in use, I can add more ventilation if needed, and/or a dehumidifier.
This issue here is that I've never even owned a hot tub before. I really don't know much about the mechanics of the tub. There is obviously a pump and some heaters...... Can someone point me to the proper components? Anyone on this forum build custom tubs?
NO, I'm not crazy

Hot Tub Forum

help me design a stainless hot tub
« on: January 29, 2014, 06:27:26 am »

4x4fab

Re: help me design a stainless hot tub
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 06:41:11 am »
I've been looking at hottubworks.com and there parts packages.............
I've got 220 volts, 30 amps, easily available, more if needed.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 07:18:13 am »
Look to a company called Waterway for your jets, manifolds, filter housing, return lines and the like for distribution of the water from the pumps. Look to a company called Balboa or Gecko for control and heat. Be aware that welding SS creates a gas called hexavailient chromium so wear a respirator. 3M 9000 series respirator with a 2097 filter will suffice.

Pump draws water through the filter and bypass valve and push it through the heater/control unit to the manifold/s for distribution to the jets which are installed in the sides of your tub.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 05:00:41 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

Mudheadsports

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 08:40:36 am »
We'll need to see pics when you're done!!!!!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 05:02:22 pm »
Things like sizing the pump for the size of piping and the quantity of jets will need to be considered.
Retired

4x4fab

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 10:34:13 am »
Things like sizing the pump for the size of piping and the quantity of jets will need to be considered.
Yes! This is where I need help!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 07:54:39 pm »
Well I'm not an engineer but if I was trying to figure it out I would start with choosing a pump and getting the GMP (gallons per minute) of that pump. Then do a little research with how much water the pipe size in the heater/controller you choose will handle. Then there's the drop in head (pressure) drops in head are created by turns, manifolds, raises in level, size of jets. Like I said I am no engineer. There's going to be a minimum and a maximum and all this stuff makes your jets feel stronger, just right or weak.

Might wana just wing it. Good, big spa companies have staff for this. A lot of spa companies wing it.
Retired

Pers Onal

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 11:53:21 pm »
A lot of spa companies wing it.

Probably not a bad idea to do a close copy of a working tub. Most of the jets, pumps, parts and controls are off the shelf parts.

I will say that unless you do a really artsy bit of welding, and incorporate some great seats in your design that you may not be as comfortable in it as you would be in a good acrylic tub. I am really more comfortable for long periods in a lounger as compared to a molded seat. Compare that to straight stainless steel and I wonder how comfortable that would be.

Having said that, once you get layout if the pressure is where your jets are too strong, add more jets, If too weak buy a larger pump.

Hint - wire for 60 amps.

Last but not least, I'm not sure I would want a hot tub that wasn't out of doors or in a semi-enclosed area.

Legionairres disease is no laughing matter. While my wife is meticulous in her water sanitation regime, I have always thought being outdoors where you would be breathing fresh, moving air would be somewhat preventative also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionellosis

My understanding is that breathing the fumes of water that has the bacteria is the major source of contamination.

Isaac-1

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 12:03:48 pm »
On the general topic of seating I just want to put an idea out there.  Last year while on vacation I used a swim spa that incluced a bench seat lounger made up of stainless steel tubing (about 1.5 inch tubing on 3 inch centers running length wise down the reclining bench)  The main problem I had with it was sliding side to side from the jet action, but the pipe spacing did allow water and bubble flow from beneath.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 07:09:14 pm »
Interesting?
Retired

4x4fab

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 11:32:04 am »
On the general topic of seating I just want to put an idea out there.  Last year while on vacation I used a swim spa that incluced a bench seat lounger made up of stainless steel tubing (about 1.5 inch tubing on 3 inch centers running length wise down the reclining bench)  The main problem I had with it was sliding side to side from the jet action, but the pipe spacing did allow water and bubble flow from beneath.
Hmmmm....... I can easily roll sheet stainless, and make some pretty complex shapes.... I'm not too worried about being able to make it comfortable, I'm still trying to look at different designs and figure it all out.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 11:32:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42