What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is draining tub required? Bacteria present due to lack of sanitizer.  (Read 3318 times)

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
Really want opinions from those that know... I failed to keep up the sanitizer level in my tub. I can look back and realize that I forgot the weekly shock of Dichlor. I was only using enhanced shock which is not a sanitizer.

My daughter really broke out with what looks like chicken pocks and my wife had a few spots on her side. I had what first appeared like a spider bite on my calf. It was pretty big and hard and hurt a little bit to the touch, kinda like a pimple might. The diagnoses was folliculitis.

Anyways, I have nuked the tub with 8 tablespoons of Dichlor last night. Checked level today with test strip and it still way up there (dark purple on strip).

I don't know if I can feel relaxed or comfortable soaking in the tub without draining it but wanted opinions from those who know about this stuff. It's has been really cold her in Michigan and tonight were looking at -35F with wind chill so draining won't happen anytime soon.

I have had the tub 8 years and I'm pretty disappointed in myself and this situation because I know better.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 04:29:47 pm by drober30 »

Hot Tub Forum

meriflower

Re: Is draining tub required? Bacteria present due to lack of sanitizer.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 05:44:15 pm »
Well I have never experienced that so can't really say I'm an expert.  But everything I have read on the subject says its important to disinfect the tub and that includes draining it. 

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 05:53:14 pm »
  I would start with how old is the water?    If less than a month or two I would say drain half out and refill it to dilute the chlorine.   If it's say 3, 4 or 6  months old just drain it and start over.    Or for better psc of mind drain it..  Guess some depends where you live temps wise... 

Aside from chlorine you have to watch your PH/ALK as well as this can cause a rash also.     

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 07:36:11 pm »
The water is three months old; however, its usually just my wife and I that use it once a week or so. My older daughter did use it a couple of times with a friend each time.

OK, so I really need to drain it for piece of mine anyway but do I need to disinfect it or did the 8TBSP of dichlor kill everything?

If I have to drain it completely and disinfect it, I'm probably done for the winter because thats not something I'm willing to do in the temps we have been having this winter.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 08:11:17 pm »
 Drain it refill it then start over, just remember to keep up on the chlorine.   I am sure by the amount you added would be more than enough to kill anything and should be some left in the plumbing.. 

meriflower

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 08:32:58 pm »
I would also take out the filters and give them a good rinse when you do the drain.

kurt6137

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 11:53:19 pm »
I would put a half of bag of burnout in it (burnout a pool shock) run it for 45 mins, then drain it and refill. I tend to do this as a part of my routine maint. before i drain, will kill a lot of germs.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 06:07:53 am »
I would drive the chlorine level up to about 50PPM and run it for an hour. Then drain it and throw away the filters and get new ones. Scrub it with soap soap when it's empty and rinse it well. Then fill it and drive the chlorine PPM up to 10 and wait for it to heat.
Retired

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 07:29:00 am »
I would drive the chlorine level up to about 50PPM and run it for an hour. Then drain it and throw away the filters and get new ones. Scrub it with soap soap when it's empty and rinse it well. Then fill it and drive the chlorine PPM up to 10 and wait for it to heat.

This is my normal routine when filling the tub for Winter. We don't run it over the summer months. Right now its just to cold out to drain and scrub the tub. Maybe if it hits 35 degrees it will feel like a heat wave and I might do it.

I usually buy one new filter a season and rotate them out. My tub has 5 filters being a HotSprings Vanguard.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 08:00:06 pm »
If your waiting keep the chlorine level at or above 3PPM for a while. Maybe 5
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 08:00:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42