What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2000 Bahia by Sundance spa wires getting hot!  (Read 3285 times)

mdezeeuw

2000 Bahia by Sundance spa wires getting hot!
« on: January 02, 2014, 02:03:53 pm »
I recently been having a problem with my spa. I just replaced my circuit board (6600-288). Also have a rev 5.56 chip in it. I now have a problem with my wires from my circuit board to the heater getting hot and almost melting. They turn black but do not smell like a short. I have had to replace the ends on them twice already. The same for the wires going into the board for the power. All 4 get very hot and turn black. The hot tub still works, heats up, but i do not think this should happen. let me know what you guys think.

Mike

Hot Tub Forum

2000 Bahia by Sundance spa wires getting hot!
« on: January 02, 2014, 02:03:53 pm »

clover

Re: 2000 Bahia by Sundance spa wires getting hot!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 09:39:57 pm »
No, it shouldn't happen.  It sounds like the the electrical connections are not making tight connections when they slide on to the pin.  If it is loose, resistence is increased, and amperage is producing heat through the loose conductors.  Connections must be crimped.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

mdezeeuw

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 08:54:11 am »
Thank you clover, is there a tool that is used for this? not much room to work with on the circuit board. Close quarters.

clover

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 01:42:17 pm »
a crimping too is used to apply connectors to wire, they literaly compress the connector to the wire.  If your wires are showing signs of heat, the heat is caused by the electrical energy (amps) passing through a loose connection .

You say you installed the circuit board, what did you do to the connectors that slip onto the tabs on the circuit board.  Were these wires damaged?

Your last board was damaged by high amperage passing through the relay and the circuit traces.  When your replaced it what else did you change?

mdezeeuw

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 01:58:59 pm »
(You say you installed the circuit board, what did you do to the connectors that slip onto the tabs on the circuit board.) They where fried, I had to instal new ones. the ends were all damaged by heat. and the board shorted out. I also replaced the flow switch and The hi temp switch.

I do have a bad vibration from the recirc motor to the board. I think that can be a bit of a problem also. I am working on that now.

Yesterday i cut off all the ends and put new ones on with ox-gard.

clover

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 02:13:07 pm »
High amperage draw through small circuit board traces make this a common problem on your particular model series.  I am not familiar with ox-gard, but your problem is in the connections of the wire to the board.  That is why I say you can only use a crimper to attach connectors.

How long have you had the vibrations problem, and when did it start?  Is your circ pump located behind the circuit board box?  and has it been removed or replaced? 

mdezeeuw

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 02:35:08 pm »
I have had the vibration for a year or so now and i just fixed it. The pump is connected to the heater and that is mounted to the back of the box the board is in. So when the motor kicked on the hold thing would vibrate. I am going to go to the home depot and get a good crimper and redo the ends.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 02:35:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42