What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chem Help!  (Read 2970 times)

Darzmr

Chem Help!
« on: December 29, 2013, 06:15:24 pm »
Tested my water and my ph is awesome - but my alkalinity is low (40).  The start up chemicals I received don't contain anything to raise the alkalinity (and it's a Sunday, and they're closed, and I really wanted to try my new spa tonight).  From reading old (very old) threads here, I can use baking soda... ?

Hot Tub Forum

Chem Help!
« on: December 29, 2013, 06:15:24 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Chem Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 09:37:39 pm »
Yes you can use baking soda and it is actually the best thing you can use. However be careful and go slow. If your PH is good and your using Dichlor or Bromine to sanitize your water it will be a tough game to raise your TA and not effect your PH so do a little at a time and don't panic if it doesn't move real fast. Enjoy the tub it won't hurt it or the bathers. Add a little wait a couple days add a little more and keep an eye on it.
Retired

Darzmr

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 08:16:34 am »
Thank you, Tman!  Hero of the day :)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 05:39:08 pm »
You bought the tub to enjoy and relax. The last thing you need right now is to struggle with the water balance. PH is what's important and while a balanced TA (Total Alkalinity) is important to maintain a balanced PH you can go at it slow and check it every couple days to see what happens as you use it and try and raise that TA. But don't check it every day. Let it cook. Keep it sanitized and enjoy.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 05:39:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42