What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pump/Heater; Can it be above the hot tub water level?  (Read 2080 times)

Wanner13

Pump/Heater; Can it be above the hot tub water level?
« on: July 01, 2013, 01:49:52 am »
I am hoping this isn't a repeat post; I have searched the forum a few times and have not found anything in it to help me as yet.

I just purchased a used hot tub.  Not sure the brand, but think it is a beachcomber.  The previous owner had it built into his deck, so I will be building a framework and skirting for it.  The hot tub will be going onto a concrete pad beside our deck in the back yard.

The biggest challenge I see so far is I want to have the pump accessible.  The best location would be on our deck beside the hot tub itself, and then I would have a water tight cover for the pump to sound deaden and to protect it and the wiring from the elements, pets and stray humans.

Can the pump be positioned above the water level of the hot tub?  Will this cause priming or running issues? 

How much ventilation is required for the pump?  If the top is sealed so hands and the elements will not get inside, but the pump gets ventilation from below; will this be enough to prevent the pump from overheating?

By running the pump above and beside the hot tub, we want to eliminate some of the length of the water lines, as well as several of the PVC elbows.

Any advice is appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

Pump/Heater; Can it be above the hot tub water level?
« on: July 01, 2013, 01:49:52 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Pump/Heater; Can it be above the hot tub water level?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 07:19:57 am »
Welcome to the forum.  Great idea with the pictures. We used to have a Beachcomber rep here some time ago. Good luck.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Pump/Heater; Can it be above the hot tub water level?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 07:19:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42