What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Hydro Pump Cutting Out Teuco  (Read 4216 times)

alancarsc

Hot Tub Hydro Pump Cutting Out Teuco
« on: June 03, 2013, 07:07:48 am »
I have a Teuco 607 (Italian) Tub bought just a few months ago on eBay. It's probably 7 years old, but we have been using it without any issues for just a few months.

It has a separate pump for the jets/hydro and an independent circulation/heating pump (Badu Top). A few days back the jet pump started juddering mid cycle and then cut out. If I left it for around 30 minutes and switched hydro back on it would sometimes run all day, but other times it would not kick in at all.

This has gotten progressively worse and I wondered if anyone could shed some light on what was going on before I pay top dollars to get an engineer in. I'm a time served electrician and can therefore attempt anything down that route pretty competently, but I just don't have any experience with tubs.

The pump is a Gerit Badu 21/40-55 HG MONOF. 1.1kW 2002 model.

Could it be the capacitors? Any help very welcome.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 08:15:23 pm by Forum Admin »

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Hydro Pump Cutting Out Teuco
« on: June 03, 2013, 07:07:48 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Hot Tub Hydro Pump Cutting Out Teuco
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 12:13:03 pm »
I would check first for low voltage. There is no point in measuring that voltage anywhere except right where it feeds the pump, and again: no point in measuring it at any other time than just as the pump is trying to start up.

If the voltage drops more than about 5% of the incoming line level, then you need to re-wire the tub with larger conductors.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

alancarsc

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 12:37:04 pm »
Thanks Chas, but the electrical supply is fine. The tub remains powered including circulation/heat, lighting and panel. It is just the jet pump that stops. Sometimes it can run for 5 x 60 minute cycles no problem. Other times it judders to a halt and wont come back on for hours.

I hope that makes sense and thanks for your reply.

The tub has a 8 kW heater and the 1.1kW pump for jets. Other things such as lights and circ pump are negligible as far as current draw goes. The tub is fed from 55 Amp cable protected by 50A RCD (GFI to you guys) and is on it's own dedicated circuit. Ample for 9.5 kW.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 03:56:06 pm »
As Chas says, the ONLY relevant point to measure the voltage is RIGHT AT the pump... Anywhere else you might test it wont tell you anything relevant.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

alancarsc

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 04:01:33 pm »
Hi Dr Spa.

I measured the voltage at the spa when connecting the spa to the cable/circuit. I measured 246V (I'm in the UK). Are you asking that I test at the pump terminals?

Thanks again

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 05:07:19 pm »
Yes...test at the pump terminals. That';s the ONLY way to determine if proper voltage is going to the pump.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

alancarsc

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 05:24:32 pm »
OK. Will get it done tomorrow (midnight here now) and get back to you guys. Really appreciate the guidance.

alancarsc

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 05:36:47 pm »
Checked voltage today and all good. 243V at the pump.

New discovery today. Pump runs well when water temp 32-35c. Never an issue. Problems starts at 36-38c and again vanish at 39-42c.

Any pointers chaps?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 05:36:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42