What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Cover for Marin  (Read 3815 times)

dptubber

• 06 Sundance Marin
Hot Tub Cover for Marin
« on: January 12, 2013, 05:06:09 pm »
It's time to buy a replacement hot tub cover.  I am looking for recommendations where to buy online for best quality and value.  What charactristics should I be looking for?  I am in cold climate (Michigan) so need to consider best insulation and would like to understand the factors used to determine what is good, better, best, etc.  i.e. foam density & R-Factor

Thanks in advance for any information.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Cover for Marin
« on: January 12, 2013, 05:06:09 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Hot Tub Cover for Marin
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 10:06:08 pm »
Why not try a local retailer?

dptubber

• 06 Sundance Marin
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:37:42 pm »
I don't want to buy from local dealer, because I believe I have more options with online purchases and can even save some $'s. 

At first was going to buy from rhtubs.com because of the many good things said about the company here, but they do not offer a 5" 3" taper cover.  Their 6" 4" taper would most llikely require me to move my tub due to lifter clearance and space is a precious comodity on my deck.

With that said, I have narrowed down my purchase to the following 2 options

1)  Spamart.com - ThermalGuardian Deluxe 5" 3" Taper; 2lb Foam; R-22; Options - Full Lenght Hinge Seal & Double wrap (two) 6 Mil vapor barrier $457.95

2) Spadepot.com - Dura Therm Ultra 5" 3" Taper; 1.5lb Foam; R-23.5; Options - Full Lenght Hinge Seal, Double wrap (two) 6 Mil vapor barrier & Heat Reflective Shield $494.95

My question now relates to the Heat Reflective Shield option which is only offered with the spadepot purchase.  Does any one have any input as to whether this option is worth the extra money or whether I can expect to receive some $ saved from my heating costs.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 08:49:10 pm »
Spamart.com - ThermalGuardian Deluxe 5" 3" Taper; 2lb Foam; R-22
Spadepot.com - Dura Therm Ultra 5" 3" Taper; 1.5lb Foam; R-23.5

Someone here is stretching the truth. Both are 5" to 3". One is 1.5 pound density, the other 2 pound density. 2 pound density has slightly more insulating value than 1.5 pound...yet, there's a claim that the lighter weight cover has more insulation value?????? This isn't possible...at least not in this universe (perhaps there's other universes, with different laws of physics).

Regardless, I know spamart well, he's a good friend...and makes an excellent cover...almost as good as us  ;D

FYI, 1.5 pound foam has an R value of 4.17 per inch of thickness. 2 pound foam, 4.35 per inch thickness. The polyethylene vapor barrier is R- 0.85 (doesn't matter how thick it is. 2mil or 6mil, it's the same) and the vinyl adds about another R-1.5
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

ATC Buckeye

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 11:58:41 pm »
I bought one from rhtubs recently. I had the same concern as you with lifter and precious real estate so I went witb the smaller of the two covers they offer. Its great,  I'd buy it again. And probably will!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 12:46:38 pm »
I bought one from rhtubs recently. I had the same concern as you with lifter and precious real estate so I went witb the smaller of the two covers they offer. Its great,  I'd buy it again. And probably will!

My experience was similar, I went thinner because I had a bigger tub and I wanted to make it easier for my wife or daughter to operate by herself.  I didn't notice any big difference in energy comsumption, but I didn't look too closely.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 12:46:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42