What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: when wet testing isn't an easy option  (Read 4551 times)

kayanne

when wet testing isn't an easy option
« on: October 31, 2012, 06:15:28 pm »
I've recently moved to a relatively small town (Lake Charles, LA) that has only one hot tub store.  They had only 5 tubs set up in the store: a Hot Springs Sovereign (6 person), a Caldera Marino (6 person), a Hot Spot TX (2 person), and a couple of other small ones I've forgotten.  The only tubs with water in them were 2 of the small ones.  I asked if the Sovereign or Marino could ever be filled with water for a wet test, and the employee told me no, because they only have 110V in the store, so they can't run the 230V tubs. (sounds crazy, right??)  ::)

Before I moved to Lake Charles this fall, I'd always lived in bigger cities "up north" (Chicago, Boston, Indianapolis) where hot tubs were more popular and dealers were more plentiful.  Does anyone know if Houston or Baton Rouge would have a good selection? Or any other cities down south in that general vicinity?

Also, if I find some places to do a wet test, do I need to call ahead and set up an appointment?  Or do I just show up? 

Lastly, I'll mention that I had a Hot Springs VanGuard in the past.  I liked it well enough, except that the jets made me float up, and I joked that I needed a seatbelt!

Hot Tub Forum

when wet testing isn't an easy option
« on: October 31, 2012, 06:15:28 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: when wet testing isn't an easy option
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 10:40:11 am »
Major dealer in Houston: http://www.richardstbs.com

Bet they could help you.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

goose973

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 10:05:34 am »
I'd check the websites of the manufacturers you're interested in and use their dealer locator functions to see where they have dealers. Then, call the dealers you're interested in and ask what they have available for wet test. I'd never just show up and ask to wet test. Many dealers don't keep all their demo tubs filled and/or warm. They might need a day or two to get ready for you.

metalmann

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 08:19:45 pm »
hello
the store has to have a two pole breaker panel(240 volts) I don't know if any residential houses only have 120 volts. the dealer is blowing smoke and doesn't want to be bothered.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 01:06:29 pm »
hello
the store has to have a two pole breaker panel(240 volts) I don't know if any residential houses only have 120 volts. the dealer is blowing smoke and doesn't want to be bothered.
You've seen his store?

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 04:33:02 pm »
I can show you an entire neighborhood with only 110v going to all the homes.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 04:38:17 pm »
Up until about 6 months ago I only had 110 in my store

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 11:08:32 pm »
Our latest store, which is now our ONLY store, had a 125 Amp main panel. Yes, 125. I could not only not run a 220v hot tub, but we could only keep all the lights and one 110v tub running, if we wanted to run a fan or two since we also didn't have AC. There is an electric water heater in an office/apartment area, so the box was maxed.

The first thing we did was to add a new power drop from Edison, to a new 'stadup' out in the parking lot. Then a new main panel (200A) plus we re-fed the original panel as a sub, and replaced it with a new box (100A) to run the showroom lights only.

With permits, it cost us over ten grand. But we are now 3-phase, and were able to add AC shortly thereafter. NOW - we can run three 220v tubs and three 110v on the showroom floor, plus one 220v and one 110v out in the service area.

Did I mention $10,000??

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 11:08:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42