What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I think I may need a new control pack  (Read 5556 times)

cedar tub

I think I may need a new control pack
« on: November 05, 2012, 08:55:20 pm »
Hello all. I have not posted here in a couple of years.  I also posted this on another forum that I used to visit. I have a 4yr old Callaway cedar hot tub that is not working. During the recession, Callaway went out of business so I don't have direct access to any tech support. My tub has a 2-spd pump, a blower, lights and an ionizer. When I start the tub, it runs through a 30-sec purge and then starts a 2hr filtering cycle. Since the water is cold, the temp sensor tries to turn on the heater. As soon as it clicks, the main breaker trips. I disconnected the heater from the control and this stops. So I replaced the heater but it still trips the breaker until I disconnect that heater.

Today, I had a spa technician come to look at it. He checked quite a few things and could not determine why this is happening. He said it could be the board. I can tell you this: when the relay clicks, there is a bright spark and a puff of smoke at the terminal where the heater connects to the controls. Again, when disconnected, that does not happen.

Does anyone have an idea what I should look for? I was looking at Balboa controls and the VS501 retrofit sounds a lot like my panel.  The LCD controller looks very similar to mine.  It controls a 2-spd pump, a blower, lights and an ionizer. Is there a place on any of the circuit boards that I could find a number to id this thing?
I've got wood and it's 5ft x 4ft

Hot Tub Forum

I think I may need a new control pack
« on: November 05, 2012, 08:55:20 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: I think I may need a new control pack
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 07:33:04 am »
I am not a spa tech, but you have done a fair amount of trouble shooting.  The breaker trips when the heater comes on, remove the heater and it doesn't trip? Put in a new heater and it trips again? Are we sure the new heater is good.  Something between the power source and the heater on one side has to be bad and it needs continuity through the heater to blow? That much power has to be discoloring something somewhere.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 10:12:15 am »
You may have the wrong element. Or, you may have twisted the connection points on the element.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 04:56:13 pm »

there is a bright spark and a puff of smoke at the terminal where the heater connects to the controls. Again, when disconnected, that does not happen.

I read this as the spark coming from where the wire to the heater attaches to the circuit board....and somewhat assumed it's a bad circuit board (I think I spoke on the phone to the OP).

Ya know, you can probably get the circuit board rebuilt at spa-boards.com
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

cedar tub

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:01:04 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Dr Spa, I did call.  I'm going to look at the control panel again and see if I can find a number on the board and I'll check with spa-boards.com.

cedar tub

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:31:06 pm »
Here is the board and a closeup of a part number.  It sure looks a lot like some Balboas I've seen.  As you can see, I have the heater disconnected.  After typing in spa control board and that part number, I have found a several links with that board for sale but I see it is discontinued.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:42:40 pm by cedar tub »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 01:52:59 pm »
Keep close tabs on the costs to repair that board - you don't want to spend as much as a new system.

I see a connection for a two-speed pump. You most likely have: two-speed pump, air blower?, ion system (still work?) and perhaps a light.

You can buy a complete replacement system to run that - with a digital temperature control - for very low prices these days.

I would consider upgrading to a newer system from Balboa or Gecko. Here is one I found after an exhaustive, four-second Google search: it has a universal mounting system for the heater to allow you to slide the heater up, down and all around to fit into the existing plumbing in most cases. It is priced at $379, and I have seen them for less.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 02:03:35 pm »
Chas, the system he has is rated for outdoor use... Geoko / Balboa is not.

I found replacement boards...however, 4-10-1503D is the part number for the basic board, which then needs to be programmed (no clue how this is done). Preprogrammed boards have additional numbers/letters following the part number you list. Options I list are;

59C
75B

I believe the correct board is the 4-10-1503D80. I base this on applicable top side controllers. However, I'm not 100% certain on this part number. Your second picture has a label showing the part number, and something else cover up by wires. Got a clearer picture?

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

cedar tub

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 02:13:39 pm »
Thanks guys.  I did contact the company that rebuild boards, but their site says they are backlogged and not currently taking any boards until they get caught up.  My spa tech can install a new spa pack for around $600-$650.  I found places that listed this board for $150  but they are all sold out and it is discontinued. 

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 02:45:12 pm »
They're $255 and everyone I find seems to have them.....search on just trhe part number.

4-10-1503D80

cedar tub

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 04:01:00 pm »
Yeah, it seems adding the 80 onto the end produces companies that have it in stock.  They all appear to be in Canada.  So I should be able to just reconnect all the leads just as they are on the original and in theory it will work ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 04:01:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42