What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub keeps shutting off  (Read 10066 times)

stevelx

Hot tub keeps shutting off
« on: October 10, 2012, 02:56:29 pm »
So we moved our hot tub last night about 40 minutes down the road to our new place. Well low and behold it doesn't work properly now. It was working fine 3 hrs before we drained it and moved it. I filled it back uplast night and it has a primeing mode. I kicked the pump on and all the jets were working. I started to smell something burning or lets just say something that smelled hot. Turns out the motor was hot as can be to touch. This is only 1-2 minutes after I turned the pump on. So I shut everything off. I started it back up again and after running for a minute approximately the motor shut off. I pushed the button to turn it back on and all I got was a click. So after about 20 minutes with it off. I was able to get it to turn back on again. After 1-2 minutes it shuts back off and the motor is hot. The water is flowing from the jets so I dont know whats going on. Any ideas would be great as where to start with this. The hot tub is 5 years old. Just have one motor/pump. Its a 2 speed 230v century AC motor.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 02:59:25 pm by stevelx »

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tub keeps shutting off
« on: October 10, 2012, 02:56:29 pm »

Kmill

Re: Hot tub keeps shutting off
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 03:40:01 pm »
The motor goes into thermal protect when both speeds for the pump are on. A bad motherboard could tell the pump to run both speeds at once.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 10:06:07 am »
These pumps all use induction motors, which are very sensitive to the incoming voltage. It's possible that the motor is just choosing this moment to pack it in, or that the controller IS trying to run two speeds at the same time - but I would sure check the voltage at the motor (or at the leads which go to the motor). Check first with everything off, then try to fire the pump. If it drops more than about 3% it is not legal, and if it drops more than 5% it can fry (or may already have fried) the motor and/or controller.

Also - check to see if the motor is a dual - voltage unit able to run on 110 as well as 220. If so, you may have some wiring problem with the incoming electrical in this new location. Many tub makers set the motors to run on 110, and they stay that way even if you choose 220 operation. But a simple wiring goof can send 220 to a pump which is not rated for it...

HTH

8)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 10:08:30 am by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 10:06:07 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42