What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover Protectant?? Armor All???  (Read 14073 times)

Tonyp884

Cover Protectant?? Armor All???
« on: September 06, 2012, 06:03:15 am »
Curious,
What do you guys apply to your spa cover when it is outside in the weather 24/7??
Tony P

Hot Tub Forum

Cover Protectant?? Armor All???
« on: September 06, 2012, 06:03:15 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Cover Protectant?? Armor All???
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 07:02:19 am »
I use 303 Protectant made for vinyl and I find it pretty affordable in Marine stores. If you buy it at a hot tub store it can cost twice as much as if you buy it at  Marine store.  Armo all works, but you will hear people swear it dries out the vinyl and is like crack, but the people that make it deny that of course. 
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

vangoghsear

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 07:52:46 am »
You can use saddle soap as well.  My cover manufacturer and my hot tub installer do not recommend using Armor All.  The guy who installed mine says he uses saddle soap on his own.  He says that 303 works well too.

JohnnyK45

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 08:02:35 am »
I also use a 303 protectant.

goose973

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 08:21:16 am »
303 works great, and it holds up very well.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 09:43:06 am »
I use 303 Protectant made for vinyl and I find it pretty affordable in Marine stores. If you buy it at a hot tub store it can cost twice as much as if you buy it at  Marine store.  Armo all works, but you will hear people swear it dries out the vinyl and is like crack, but the people that make it deny that of course. 

Some time ago, and I think it may have even been posted here, someone emailed Aromorall and asked about it being used on spa covers. Their response was basically that they were unfamiliar with the specific type of vinyl used in spa covers and weren't able to recommend their product for use on them.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 10:29:15 am »
You can use saddle soap as well.  My cover manufacturer and my hot tub installer do not recommend using Armor All.  The guy who installed mine says he uses saddle soap on his own.  He says that 303 works well too.

Never thought of it, but that does sound like a good idea.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:32:12 am »

Some time ago, and I think it may have even been posted here, someone emailed Aromorall and asked about it being used on spa covers. Their response was basically that they were unfamiliar with the specific type of vinyl used in spa covers and weren't able to recommend their product for use on them.

I missed that, does sound like a corporate answer. I have googled armor-all, bad, dry and found lots of cases of Armor all be-bunking the drying out stories. 

Oh, related to your cover, its holding up nicely, I was just looking at it last night and thinking it does look a little dusty, but with the end of the tub in sight and my 303 bottle almost empty, I didn't make the effort, I'm ashamed!  I think that cover is about 3 years old.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 12:45:11 pm »
The cover on your new spa should hold up just as well  ;)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 12:21:10 pm »
The only thing we've recommended over the years has been 303 Aerospace Protectant.  It's really the best stuff out there for spa covers as far as a protectant.

planetary

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 06:58:58 pm »
303 is a great vinyl protectant.  Car enthusiasts use it, as well.

TLWR

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 11:29:02 pm »
I use Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant. It has UV blockers and is available in all the local auto departments.
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g4116-meguiars-natural-shine-protectant-16-oz/

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 11:29:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42