What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Clean Filters with vinegar?  (Read 30560 times)

vangoghsear

Clean Filters with vinegar?
« on: September 01, 2012, 07:50:11 pm »
Anyone ever use white vinegar mixed with water to clean their filters?

Read that it can be done, just wondering what you experts say.  The fluid I bought at the pool store to do the job is expensive and you are supposed to use the whole bottle. 

I was looking for alternatives and found this:

ehow.com/how_6142640_clean-spa-filters-vinegar.html
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 12:25:40 pm by Forum Admin »

Hot Tub Forum

Clean Filters with vinegar?
« on: September 01, 2012, 07:50:11 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Clean Filters with vinegar?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 12:31:04 pm »
you can buy muriatic acid and TSP and mix up some filter cleaner yourself...that is basically what filter cleaner consists of and of course you pay double because it is "pre mixed" similar to buying antifreeze vs pre-mixed antifreeze

kwilli

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 01:07:24 pm »
It works. Plus it's not too strong compared to other chemicals. But you'll probably use a lot. I use it for cleaning soap scums too. :)

vangoghsear

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 10:56:00 am »
Thanks for the responses guys.   8)

vangoghsear

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 11:15:22 am »
I was looking up the muriatic acid and TSP solution for quantities and came across another method:  dishwasher detergent, such as Cascade.  Use 1 cup to 5 gallons and soak overnight like the acid bath.

Anyone try that?

I also read that weekly spraying off of the filter before a thorough cleaning helps prolong the period before the acid bath is required, which makes sense.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 12:33:15 pm »
I was looking up the muriatic acid and TSP solution for quantities and came across another method:  dishwasher detergent, such as Cascade.  Use 1 cup to 5 gallons and soak overnight like the acid bath.

Anyone try that?

I also read that weekly spraying off of the filter before a thorough cleaning helps prolong the period before the acid bath is required, which makes sense.

Yes, I would add rinse twice as much as you think, soap, hot water, and jets equals bubble bath.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 03:55:27 pm »
Acid washing is only needed if there's mineral deposits on the cartridge. If there's no mineral deposits, all the acid washing will do is shorten the life of the filter.

Cascade works, or at least use to, due to the phosphates in it (which have mostly been removed)....same reason TSP works, but cheaper, purer and less "soapy".
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 04:28:15 pm »
Acid washing is only needed if there's mineral deposits on the cartridge. If there's no mineral deposits, all the acid washing will do is shorten the life of the filter.

Cascade works, or at least use to, due to the phosphates in it (which have mostly been removed)....same reason TSP works, but cheaper, purer and less "soapy".

correct re: mineral/calcium buildup...its a must in my neck of the woods because if your water doesn't run through a softener the calcium around here is sky high and apparently running a hose inside the house to fill with soft water is just too much of an inconvenience  ::)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 09:47:30 pm »
Vinegar is a mild acid - and some folks use diluted Muriatic Acid for cleaning filter carts. But - Unicel says this:

For years, service technicians and homeowners have acid washed D.E. grids. However, cartridge elements do not have the protective D.E. powder coating that grids have and can be permanently damaged by the acid. As a rule of thumb, acid wash only when required, if at all, and never without thoroughly cleaning the element with a cartridge degreaser first.

After thoroughly cleaning the cartridge with a degreasing agent, flush the cartridge with a garden hose to remove all traces of soap, etc. Now apply several drops of acid directly to a small area of the filter media. If bubbling occurs, this indicates a build-up of calcium or minerals, and you should proceed with a mild acid soak (see Unicel Cleaning Instructions for more details). If no bubbling is observed, your cartridge most likely does not require acid washing."

From Unicelfilters.com - "FAQ - Acid Wash 101"
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

JohnnyK45

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 10:10:31 pm »
Probably as many methods of cleaning your filters as there are spa mfgs.  I heard soaking your filter(s) in a bucket of water with Dawn soap does the trick; BUT, one must rinse their filters off very well.

Not sure I will do that, as I have a bottle of this, which is from the company where I get my other spa maintenance stuff from...

http://www.ecoonespa.com/spa-products-2/filter-cleanser/

JohnnyK45

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 04:26:40 am »
Our tub just takes two filters, so while running errands, picked up 2 more from my local dealer (his price was within a couple of bucks of getting them online, so try to support him when I can).  For ease of use on my end, I'm just going to swap out and rotate filters per cleaning.  I do this with our reptile carpets we have for our corn snakes and it works great; so, going to do the same with these hot tub filters (hey, connecting spa filters and snakes in the same sentence, not bad, huh?  ;D).  Not sure how true or not, but thought I read it is of benefit if the filters, after being cleaned, are totally dry before being put back in the spa - true or not, I just want to be able to swap them out in a few seconds and always have a clean set on hand.

J

chem geek

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 05:54:23 pm »
See this post for instructions on cleaning cartridge filters, courtesy of Unicel.

vangoghsear

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 07:53:47 am »
Thanks all for the great information!   8)

TLWR

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 11:36:33 pm »
I used Leslie's Cartridge Cleaner overnight on the filter. It appeared to work really well. The gunk that was built up in the pleats is now gone and the spotty discoloring is much reduced or gone. After a good rinse, there was no foaming issues when reinstalled and ran in the tub. I think I used 4oz, and at that rate, the $15 bottle will last a few years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 11:36:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42