What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: When to change water.  (Read 14169 times)

smackman

Re: When to change water.
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 06:24:17 pm »
Hey there -

You sound a little defensive and none of us intended to attack you.  We're all hot tub users here, providing pretty consistent answers.  Like you said, the oil/soap has to come from somewhere and so you need to address the source of the contaminants.  Many new tub owners think they can jump in and not worry about deodorant or hair gels or perfumes or...yadda yadda.  So assuming that's not an issue...

What sort of filter system do you have, when's the last time you cleaned it and when's the last time you replaced it?

I don't have a bromine system so I can't suggest anything there.

Those are your three options:  1.  Cut down on the crap getting into the tub, 2. Make sure your tub can do a better job trapping the crap or 3. Find a way to zap the crap.

PS...Is there a chance someone's using the tub when you're not around?

Not trying to be defensive but the first few answer were a little out there. I have a jacuzzi J 465 with filters I just changed a month ago. No one gets into my Hot Tub besides us. We have owned this Hot Tub over 2 years. Not a Big thing. Always trying to learn; I love clear water :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:39:37 pm by smackman »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 06:24:17 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 11:04:55 pm »
Just maybe you love that feel of clean water so much that you are noticing things that some people might not really be bothered by. Like bubbles and a little oil won't bother my kids at all..but I love that feel of clean water too, so it would really bother me. Since I'm in charge of all things hot tubian..I end up cleaning the tub. Now that suntan lotion time is here and the kids bring friends, lots more water changes before I will use it.. I just love the feel of clean water..like clean sheets dried on a clothes line ..crisp ..with no surface tension :) 
Support your dealer so they can support you!

smackman

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 09:03:13 am »
Just maybe you love that feel of clean water so much that you are noticing things that some people might not really be bothered by. Like bubbles and a little oil won't bother my kids at all..but I love that feel of clean water too, so it would really bother me. Since I'm in charge of all things hot tubian..I end up cleaning the tub. Now that suntan lotion time is here and the kids bring friends, lots more water changes before I will use it.. I just love the feel of clean water..like clean sheets dried on a clothes line ..crisp ..with no surface tension :)

Well, My grown girls swear I am a "perfectionist" when it comes to being neat,things being clean and my expectations. My daughters are 29 and 31 years old and still say this!

To me, There is nothing like the look/feel of clean fresh water.

I also am in charge solely of the Hot Tub; Honestly I do not want my wife touching it except to getting in and enjoying. We are "empty nest" so it is just me and my wife of 35 years.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 10:14:47 am »
One thing I haven't seem mentioned yet in this thread, Smacky, is hair. I find that if I take care of all the things you have already mentioned, I will have perfect water until somebody dunks their head. Shampoo and conditioners, and mouse/gel must be the culprit, it's the only thing I can think of.

I'm behind the curve here: are you still using up that Bromine or did you switch off of it?

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

clover

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 10:25:14 am »
....My daughters are 29 and 31 years old....To me, There is nothing like the look/feel of clean fresh water.... I also am in charge solely of the Hot Tub; Honestly I do not want my wife touching it except to getting in and enjoying. We are "empty nest" so it is just me and my wife of 35 years.
We all enjoy "sparkling clean, crystal clear water that should have an invitation to drink".  As I read this thread, it is rather obvious that your would not be inclined to say your water meets those visual standards.  It is, however, exactly what you have allowed to be introduced into the water.

Do not become defensive, we understand you are looking for advice, and you have come to the right place.  Be patient as we try to solve YOUR problem.

First, it is obvious your daughters are adults, and you are an empty nester, so they don't live at home, but still use the hot tub.  When you, or they, enter the water it is above 98.6°, body temperature, thus each and every skin pore, orifice, crack and cranny opens to release every thing within, as the perspiration washes the body clean from the inside out.  Skin lotions, hair gels, cosmetics, oils, including medications and what is in your blood comes out with perspiration. 

THAT is the source of your problem.  NOW you must "clean" the water, which you are noticing and trying to understand the "why", and the "source".

Secondly, rinse all suits thoroughly before use in the tub, obviously all suits are being rinsed while in the tub, and they do hold residual soap.

I have been in the business for 28 years, and I am a strong advocate of ozone purification.  My wife and I use our tub regularly, and we occasionally check and test the water, only after our first test "visual", and “smell" indicates we should.  If you see it (cloudy), or if you smell it (odors or chemicals), something is wrong and we test the water treating it accordingly. 

We use ozone and monitor pH and Alkalinity, the water has not been changed for 2 years, because we rarely add any chemicals.  You should not expect to accomplish this, without first learning the in’s and out’s of ozone purification, a subject of combative conjecture from those who do not comprehend the applications of ozone in lieu of chemicals.

As you use chemicals, you accumulate un-dissolved solids within the water requiring water changes regularly, 3 to 4 times a year.  I do not rely on chemicals for sanitizing my spa, and we are able to maintain a pristine environment.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 10:40:09 am »
As one of the first to reply, if it was my answer that made you appear defensive, then that was not my intention.

All I am saying is that the foam is being caused by something you are bringing into the water. I have had a little bit of foam, but only a few bubbles on the surface very occasionally. One dose of 'No foam' has cleared it.

We all use deoderants, shampoo and conditioner and we don't get the same problems. you have to work out what is being brought into your water.
Is it hair shampoo that is not being washed out of hair properly and comes out when hair is dunked. Is is from peoples feet. do you wash the area around the tub dowm with soap and they are bringing it in on their feet. Is it a particular type of body lotion. Are you able to isolate it to a particular individual. ie. the water is okay until X gets in?

You are obviously experienced with hot tubs, this being your second one. Has this always been a problem or can you identify when it started and what changed at that time.

Hope you can work out what is causing it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:42:04 am by 999 »

smackman

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 11:01:32 am »
One thing I haven't seem mentioned yet in this thread, Smacky, is hair. I find that if I take care of all the things you have already mentioned, I will have perfect water until somebody dunks their head. Shampoo and conditioners, and mouse/gel must be the culprit, it's the only thing I can think of.

I'm behind the curve here: are you still using up that Bromine or did you switch off of it?

8)

Currently on Bromine until I finish the Granular Bromine Concentrate. I am no longer using Bromine Tablets.

My wife has long hair but she keeps it up in the Hot Tub.; This could be a issue even though she seldom if ever dunks her head but her hair will touch the water when she is working on massaging her neck. That being said, I have dunked my Head so I might be the culprit. :D

Also, My Water Clarity after 3 weeks is MUCH better not using Bromine Tablets and the smell is not near as bad with just using the Bromine Concentrate Granulars.

faeriegirl

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 12:38:35 pm »
I use a scum ball and it works really well at absorbing oils

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 04:33:54 pm »
I use a scum ball and it works really well at absorbing oils

I have never heard of a scum ball, so just looked it up on the inetrnet. Its difficult to see how big they are. I assume they are the size of a tennis ball ??

chem geek

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 07:39:56 pm »
Yeah, roughly the size of a tennis ball (at least the one I used for my pool years ago).

Philpug

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 07:48:32 pm »

Now, If my oldest daughter gets in, It is bubble city. LOL She showers before entering but that Chanel body lotion is embedded in her skin.

I think we need pictures of the daughter to decide.  :D

Past that, soap can be a culprit. We notice the worst bubbles when friends are over and they are in bathing suits.

smackman

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 08:06:54 pm »

Now, If my oldest daughter gets in, It is bubble city. LOL She showers before entering but that Chanel body lotion is embedded in her skin.

I think we need pictures of the daughter to decide.  :D

Past that, soap can be a culprit. We notice the worst bubbles when friends are over and they are in bathing suits.

Neither of my daughters have been in the Hot Tub since I changed the Water 4 weeks ago. Once again we do not use bathing suits; We relax butt naked when by ourselves which is 95% of the time. We rinse off before entering Hot Tub.......... I actually just took my Water to Land of Pools and it is Balanced.

My standards for clarity maybe unrealistic. Whatever the case, I will deal with it and maybe one day I will hit the Magic and not change my water every 2 years.

smackman

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 08:14:28 pm »
....My daughters are 29 and 31 years old....To me, There is nothing like the look/feel of clean fresh water.... I also am in charge solely of the Hot Tub; Honestly I do not want my wife touching it except to getting in and enjoying. We are "empty nest" so it is just me and my wife of 35 years.
We all enjoy "sparkling clean, crystal clear water that should have an invitation to drink".  As I read this thread, it is rather obvious that your would not be inclined to say your water meets those visual standards.  It is, however, exactly what you have allowed to be introduced into the water.

Do not become defensive, we understand you are looking for advice, and you have come to the right place.  Be patient as we try to solve YOUR problem.

First, it is obvious your daughters are adults, and you are an empty nester, so they don't live at home, but still use the hot tub.  When you, or they, enter the water it is above 98.6°, body temperature, thus each and every skin pore, orifice, crack and cranny opens to release every thing within, as the perspiration washes the body clean from the inside out.  Skin lotions, hair gels, cosmetics, oils, including medications and what is in your blood comes out with perspiration. 

THAT is the source of your problem.  NOW you must "clean" the water, which you are noticing and trying to understand the "why", and the "source".

Secondly, rinse all suits thoroughly before use in the tub, obviously all suits are being rinsed while in the tub, and they do hold residual soap.

I have been in the business for 28 years, and I am a strong advocate of ozone purification.  My wife and I use our tub regularly, and we occasionally check and test the water, only after our first test "visual", and “smell" indicates we should.  If you see it (cloudy), or if you smell it (odors or chemicals), something is wrong and we test the water treating it accordingly. 

We use ozone and monitor pH and Alkalinity, the water has not been changed for 2 years, because we rarely add any chemicals.  You should not expect to accomplish this, without first learning the in’s and out’s of ozone purification, a subject of combative conjecture from those who do not comprehend the applications of ozone in lieu of chemicals.

As you use chemicals, you accumulate un-dissolved solids within the water requiring water changes regularly, 3 to 4 times a year.  I do not rely on chemicals for sanitizing my spa, and we are able to maintain a pristine environment.
We never run our temp below 101; I need the heat for therapeutic reasons. Maybe the High Temp. is some of the reason but I did not buy a $10K hot tub for use as a swimming pool. I need the Heat.

My Hot Tub did not come with Ozone; Honestly, the owner said it was not worth it. I went with my salesman. What can I say. Live and Learn.

It takes over 1 lb of PH down to get my Alkalinity and PH stable. Maybe the fragrance I add once every 2 weeks is a issue. Maybe I fart to many times and contaminate the water. LOL

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 08:14:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42