What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: GFI Kicking Out  (Read 4086 times)

Catch84

GFI Kicking Out
« on: January 05, 2012, 07:44:44 am »
We bought a used hot tub and have been using it for a little over 2 years now. Last night we went to get in and boy was it cold! I checked the breakers and the GFI had been tripped. I opened up the side of the tub and had the wife flip it on. The motor turned about 2 revolutions and I could here the relay click and the GFI tripped again. I unplugged the pump from the control box and had the wife turn the breaker on and everything was quiet and the breaker didn't trip. So is it safe to assume that the problem is with the pump motor or should I do some more digging? On the plus side even though I live in Montana it's 50 deg. right now so nothing is freezing up!

Should have mentioned it looks like a Spa Guts spa pack in it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 07:47:20 am by Catch84 »

Hot Tub Forum

GFI Kicking Out
« on: January 05, 2012, 07:44:44 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: GFI Kicking Out
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 10:08:59 am »
It's probably a bad heating element.

The element isn't energized until the pump is moving water through it.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 10:46:17 am »
It's probably a bad heating element.

The element isn't energized until the pump is moving water through it.

Agreed but you can easily confirm it. Plug the pump back in and this time unplud the heater. Run it again and if the breaker doesn't trip then you know its the heater.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Catch84

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 07:52:02 pm »
I did as Spatech_tuo suggested and sure enough the pump came on and the breaker didn't kick. So I pulled things apart and got the element out and it has a small pin hole in one of the tubes that I am betting isn't suppose to be there. Thanks to the both of you, you saved me some head scratching.  ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 07:52:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42