What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electric Motor Aluminum Housing Cracking!!!  (Read 12741 times)

Vanguard

Re: Electric Motor Aluminum Housing Cracking!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 10:19:29 pm »
When I used to service pools, I always carried a few capacitors with me.  If a motor was out, I'd always check that first.  Numerous times I'd go out on a second opinion and change out the capacitor when the previous tech quoted a whole new motor.  I didn't make as much on the call as I could have if I'd just underbid the other contractor, but I created a new, loyal customer by treating them honestly.

The cracked motors are strange.  Have you seen a brand name on the motor? 

I would think your original dealer should be able to take back the cracked motors and have them replaced under warranty and give you your money back.  That would be the right thing to do.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 10:19:29 pm »

In Canada

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 11:31:11 pm »
I hate to admit it but it does look like the motor was dropped on its shaft.

It looks like something may have caused a sudden "back thrust" on the pump impeller.  When it was assembled was there any movement laterally along the pump shaft?  Could the impeller have not been threaded on properly or a spacer missing between the pump hosing and the motor?

Very strange

fuzzybeekeeper

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 08:52:42 am »
>In Canada,
  All four pumps came to me assembled...from two different companies.  Both are O.A.Smith electric motors with "wet sides" (pumps) by different companies.  If it was a batch of O.A.Smith motors that had been dropped, it would be very ironic that I received at least three motors from two different companies and noone else seems to have reported this problem.

>Vanguard,
  I agree.  The service tech from the local company even mentioned that the capacitor was the only thing wrong with the motor but sold me a $450 new replacement instead.  I have to run right now but will speak to your other comment later.

Fuzzybeekeeper

Vanguard

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 12:29:55 pm »
Was your first replacement a replacement of the whole pump or just the motor?  Have you just replaced the motor each time?  Have you ever replaced the impeller even though it looks fine?

How do you install your impeller?
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

VTXMAN

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 02:05:18 pm »
This is very odd, in my 20+ years I have never seen this unless they were dropped. I have come across motors that spun back-wards but they only hurt the wet end. I would think any issues in the wet end that created this amount of force would break the wet end before it would the motor housing.

I know you are confident they were not dropped so I do not have any answer.

Being they are all AO Smiths I think the issue is with them.

Maybe you have hard water?  ;D

fuzzybeekeeper

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 02:21:03 pm »
Each time the motor and impeller came as a complete assembly.  They were never seperated.  We received a new electric motor and pump (assembled) each time.   I know the local dealer opened the impeller one time because they were thinking something had gotten inside and caused it to freeze up.  They found nothing.

Every time I have taken the impeller apart, I have found NO damage.

The impeller has come installed in the pump.  I don't even open it up.  At least not until now when I figured this was my pump anyway.

Fuzzybeekeeper

fuzzybeekeeper

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 02:25:06 pm »
VTXMAN,

Yes, I do have hard water, but, geez....how HARD can water be?

Besides, if it was with A. O. Smith electric motors, as I have said, from two different suppliers, you would think this problem would have popped up somewhere else, too.

Fuzzybeekeeper

Vanguard

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 06:44:10 pm »
So I was at an open house for a pool products distributor today.  The AO Smith rep was there so I fired up my laptop and showed him the photos.

He was absolutely stumped.  Said he's not seen that kind of crack before.  One thing he could think of related to a different type of impeller than you have, so that didn't fit.  The other thing he thought of doesn't work since you had a complete pump, not just a motor.  He wondered if someone had hammered the impeller on.  I told him I really didn't think so.

We got busy, so I didn't get to follow up with him.

Here's my thought.  You should have a warranty from the PUMP manufacturer.  You should be able to get the entire pump replaced under warranty since you bought them brand new.  When I refer to a pump, I mean the entire unit - Motor and Wet End.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 08:32:23 am »
The hard water comment was funny. Guys, I'll admit to knowing nothing about repairing anything except computers, but is it possible there is an air leak in the cabinet and after the motor gets really hot and shuts off its getting blasted with cold outside air?  Ok, I'll shut up now.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

In Canada

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 09:51:27 pm »
Wow!  Fuzzy, I'm sorry but I've got nothing.   I have never seen anything like this at all.

Vanguard is right though, if you bought a assembled pump/motor it should be under some type of warranty by whoever marketed the assembled product

fuzzybeekeeper

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 06:30:50 pm »
I totally agree that the "assembler" of the pump/motor combination should make it good.  My problem is that this is the fourth one.  Since the manufacturer warrenties the "pump" only and not the labor to install it, I would have had to pay $180 each time it went out ($60/hour with 1 hour getting here, 1 hour here and 1 hour getting back=3X$60=$180).  That would make my bill for labor for replacing warrentied pumps $540.00 so far (3 X $180.).

The catch is that the only way the motor is under warrenty is if THEIR service man installs it.  If I install it, the warrenty is void because I "am not qualified and might install it wrong, thus causing the motor to break."  Gotcha!!!

My contention is that I am the customer and the local dealer should be paying to replace the motor.  HIS contention is that he has done MORE than he should have and that I should have to pay the labor.  So much for customer service.  I am no longer his customer.  My problem is that it is now 100 miles and across Houston to the nearest dealer.

As a last "favor" to me, they "sold" me a motor "on paper" (didn't actually cost me anything, or them either, for that matter, because it was just the replacement motor I would have received anyway, but this way I have to go to the manufacturer instead of them).  Since THAT one went out (#3), I did return it to the manufacturer.  He did replace it with no charge except for the $40 I had to pay to ship it to him.  Now, after running 24 hours, #4 breaks in the same way, he's going to say that it is my hot tub, not the motor.  And I wouldn't blame him for thinking that.  So I didn't even try to return it.

And the kicker in all this:  My 60-something-year-old electrical repair man in a dingy shop in a town of 14,000 fixed my original motor with used parts for $15. 

And three days later (and two wonderful hot tub sessions later(after a 4 month delay)) the hot tub is still going.

The motor does have a little "jingle" to it like a small bell when it kicks into the second speed, but that doesn't seem to bother it at all.  I'm going to make a recording of the sound and see if my "Superman" repairman who does the impossible can tell what is wrong. 

Fuzzybeekeeper

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 07:38:35 pm »
From the pictures, I would bet my lunch for the next two weeks on that motor being dropped on it's shaft, or put together wrong at the factory. That could have happened before the wet-end was installed, and the broken part could have stayed pretty much in place for a very long time before just the right combination of start/stop torque or speed-change torque, or simple vibration, finally moved it to the point the motor stopped.

I would have the repair guy fix it for you with a new or used end bell, and sell it back to the guy who charged you $450 for the replacement. He obviously thinks these things are worth a lot!

And BTW - do you have any suggestions for picks on the next Super Lotto? I want to pick the exact opposite of whatever you choose...
  ;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

fuzzybeekeeper

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 07:01:47 pm »
Five months after repairing a "broken" motor for $15, it is STILL running strong.

I still don't understand how FOUR motors could have broken shafts from either 1) something I did or 2) something that is wrong with my "tub" and when I put in a fixed "discarded" motor in, it runs like a top for the past five months without missing a beat.

The four motors were all the same model but different than the original model.  I think that has something to do with it.

Try to convince the dealer of that!!!!!

Thanks to all who contributed.

Fuzzybeekeeper

fuzzybeekeeper

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 05:00:51 pm »
Ok....It has been two+ years and the original REPAIRED motor is still going strong.  Something was definately wrong with the 4 "NEW" motors I was given.  And the store that sold and installed the hot tub has not lifted a finger or inquired about how things are going since.

The only reason I am posting this is because I need a new cover so I wanted to go back and see what company Vangard recommended in a private message and I thought I would bring you up to date on an unusual problem that never was solved!

Fuzzybeekeeper

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 09:08:35 am »
Thanks for the update. I remember puzzling over this one!

Did you ever have your motor shop fix the broken motors, or do anything else productive with them?

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 09:08:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42