What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Leaking Jet - Help Needed  (Read 23766 times)

mprusak

Leaking Jet - Help Needed
« on: December 04, 2011, 11:19:06 pm »
Hot Tub is a Thermospa Olympian.  I have been working on getting this spa up and running after buying it from our neighbor.  With much help from this forum, I have made significant progress.

Latest problem is a leaking jet.  Specifically, its called a Diverting Whirlpool Jet.

This seems to be the "main" jet in the tub.  It is connected to pump 1.  It seems to run most if not all the time.  I think its part of the filtration system???  The picture below, you can see it running in the upper right picture.  This is with all pumps off.

The picture in the lower right shows the back side of the jet where it is leaking.  Its pretty apparent that seal is bad.  I tried applying silicone to it, but that did not help.  I also tried removing the jet but could not figure out how to.  I was able to remove some smaller jets, by turning counter-clockwise and pulling out.  That did not work on this...could not get it past the normal open position when turning.

What is the proper way to fix this?

Can it be fixed from the hot tub side by removing the jet?  If so, any thoughts on how I might figure out how to get it out?

Thanks very much for any help.

Mark.

Hot Tub Forum

Leaking Jet - Help Needed
« on: December 04, 2011, 11:19:06 pm »

mprusak

Re: Leaking Jet - Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 10:23:45 am »
I put some putty around the leaking area and have considerably reduced the leaking problem...but not eliminated it.  Wondering if this is the right approach, just keep applying to see if I can get it to stop that way.

Or do I need to be going at this differently?

Thanks.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 11:17:26 am »
unfortunately describing how to remove/replace that jet is not a procedure that can easily be laid out in steps over the web, hence the lack of replies, however if you are looking for a temporary/quick fix I would suggest this:

1. drain tub
2. scrape all existing putty and silicone away from behind the jet
3. prep surface near leak and all around the jet itself using a medium to fine grit sandpaper
4. buy and mix up a 2 part marine epoxy (mister sticky, devcon, etc.) and use your finger (rubber glove and a little water to dip your finger in work best) to smear in a nice thick bead around the jet/leak location.
5. give it a good 24-36 hours to cure, then fill the tub

good luck

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 09:29:23 am »
Let me offer an alternative -

Scrape away all the silicon around the back side of the jet.
Turn the nut counter clockwise as far as you can to loosen the jet in the hole.
clean the silicone under the nut out on the back of the shell.
If the jet is loose at that point, clean the silicone from under the back of the jet face (this is the part inside the spa shell).
If not, carefully work it loose from the shell - it is most likely 'glued' into place with silicone behind the jet face. Then clean that area of all silicone.
Run fresh bead of silicone behind the jet face.
Tighten the nut to secure the jet in place and squeeze out excess silicone from around jet face. Wipe off extra silicone as it comes out.

Let is set for 24 hours before wet testing.

The only reason I offer this is because the factory most likely installed the jet this way, and as long as the jet doesn't get moved/turned or twisted to break the seal it is going to hold. You can't take the jet nut all the way off, because this type of jet is installed in sections and then glued together, and you don't want/need to replace the entire unit if it is working. The seal that really matters is the one on the inside of the tub between the spa shell and the jet face. There may be a silicone 'o-ring' or gasket there - if so, I would remove it and replace it or just replace it with a nice bead of silicone.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

mprusak

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 10:07:54 am »
Thanks guys.  Followed Chas' suggested method over the weekend.  Plan to refill it tonight, so we'll see how it works.

mprusak

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 10:11:32 am »
Filled last night...so far, so good...

May just be hot tubbing soon :-)

mprusak

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 11:28:40 am »
New seal held for 24 hours...then started leaking again yesterday...very frustrating.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 11:36:02 am »
New seal held for 24 hours...then started leaking again yesterday...very frustrating.

seal it with a 2 part epoxy and hope for a 15min 10$ fix.... or bite the bullet and replace and replumb in a new jet

mprusak

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 04:46:19 pm »
So, we had a local hot tub repairman come out and take a look...its a cracked jet.

He is quoting about $350 parts and labor.  He also would add another $100 to fill and test afterwards.

We had him go ahead and order the part.  I'm assuming this is not an easy repair (say, like the manifold which was pretty straightforward).  Is this a pretty fair quote?  The $100 to stick around and fill and test seems a little outrageous.  I can fill and test...any problems should be covered, right?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 06:33:40 pm »
Sounds about right.

The fill and test really should not happen the same day - assuming he uses PVC cement and silicone. Those really need 24 hours to fully set, especially in cold weather. This is a bit controversial, many repair guys glue it, fill it and bill it, but if you CAN wait, I say wait.

Of course, if freezing is a problem...

8)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 07:38:15 am »
Sounds about right.

The fill and test really should not happen the same day - assuming he uses PVC cement and silicone. Those really need 24 hours to fully set, especially in cold weather. This is a bit controversial, many repair guys glue it, fill it and bill it, but if you CAN wait, I say wait.

Of course, if freezing is a problem...

8)

In our defense. Depending on the repair PVC glues and fully cured in less than 1 hour under normal curing temps. But I get how a silicon seal or a jet seal may need more time along with extending the cure time when its cold.
Retired

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 10:07:37 pm »
So, we had a local hot tub repairman come out and take a look...its a cracked jet.

He is quoting about $350 parts and labor.  He also would add another $100 to fill and test afterwards.

We had him go ahead and order the part.  I'm assuming this is not an easy repair (say, like the manifold which was pretty straightforward).  Is this a pretty fair quote?  The $100 to stick around and fill and test seems a little outrageous.  I can fill and test...any problems should be covered, right?

price seems about right...fix itself is not too bad because the repair area looks completely exposed...1hr or less

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 10:44:02 pm »
Roger - I'm with you on normal PVC joints. But if spaflex is involved, let it sit overnight.

8)

mprusak

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 01:29:00 pm »
Well, he came Tuesday, repaired and filled right away.  I wasnt there, so not sure what was used, but he seemed very knowledgeable.  We have used the tub (finally!) the past two nights.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 01:29:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42