What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Increase flow on Cal Spa E732B and tie into solar panel  (Read 2039 times)

crusty

Increase flow on Cal Spa E732B and tie into solar panel
« on: June 16, 2011, 05:36:31 pm »
Hello, first post.  I am over in Italy with the US Army and recently purchased a Cal Spa E732B from a dealer in TX.  I had them remove all the electrics (and knocked down another $$) as I had to convert to 50Hz and the tub was shipped for free by a friend who had a conatiner coming over with cars in it.  This is my first tub and I feel I got a good cash deal on the tub even though I know some hate Cal Spa.  But after looking around at both new and used and dealing with some sharks (salesmen) I settled on this unit simply for the price to quality and the depth of the tub.  

I purchased the pieces I needed on Ebay one by one.  I found a Balboa GS511SZ 220V 50Hz pack with heater for $100 shipped, was brand new but missing the plastic cover.  I got a Balboa VL701S topside for $70 shipped, and then picked up an Aqua-Flo 2 speed 2HP 220V 50Hz motor/pump for less than $200 shipped, not bad for all of this.

So I now have the tub running, have an awesome view of the Dolomite Alps just behind my house and love it.  However, I would not mind a bit more pressure.  I see options could be a bigger HP pump/motor or could I replumb and add another 2HP pump?  I can get another pump for the same deal and the topside has 2 jet controls.  I have not opened the tub on the back side yet but thought I might could disconnect the manual flow control valve and plumb x number of jets on one side to pump 1 and the other jets to pump 2, sound feasible?  Figured I would have to possibly have two outlets on the filter body so might have to change it.

I am also going to tie into my existing solar heating system, I have 3 vacuum solar tube panels for the radiant underfloor heating and domestic hot water.  I just about have it laid out and will get a heat exchanger here.  I would like to connect to the existing filter body somehow but might just get an inline filter for it.  I was going to use a taco pump and separate thermostat since I don't know if I get the GS511SZ to operate it like a 24 hr circ pump, any ideas on this project would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:47:00 pm by crusty »

Hot Tub Forum

Increase flow on Cal Spa E732B and tie into solar panel
« on: June 16, 2011, 05:36:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42