What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Replacing a leaking spa, want to avoid same problem - HELP, EXPERTS!!!  (Read 6574 times)

Two-kM-high

I bought a Cal spa in '96.  Loved using it several times weekly, watching the constellations in the dark night sky here at this high altitude (exactly 2kM high) in the horse country SE of Denver, for over 10 years.  Then the hot tub developed 3 leaks, all at once, in the internal plumbing.  Come to find out, they built the thing using barbed fittings in the flex tubes, held together only by organic glue, which of course failed with time and heat.  No access to the plumbing through the jet fittings.  No clamps holding the tubes on the barbs.  To fix it, it has to be replumbed.  Unreasonable.  I expected maintenance issues, such as periodic motor/pump and heater replacement.  NOT REPLUMBING THE WHOLE DANG TUB!  Unacceptable.  Thought this was a capital asset, like my house.  Don't expect to replumb the house, either.

Anyway.  now I want to replace the tub, and with one that is built with better design, and with maintenance ability designed in.  I talked with the Marquis guys, and they claimed their design covers my concerns.  Hmmm.  I'm inclined to trust experts like you guys, on a forum, without a fiscal incentive to give me a story.

I read the other threads on this site, asking for advice on brands to buy.  You guys said Caldera, D1, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, and Sundance were preferred quality spas.  ALL of them, as well as Marquis, have local dealers here.  In fact, this may be the hot tub center of the world, I don't know.  Certainly they were big out here when I first skied Colorado in the 70's, and still are part of the culture.

So what say you?  BTW, I bought this Cal spa at $5,000 new - it was a closeout model. 7' X 7', 500 gal, 5 positions, 2 motors, digital control.  Really liked the layout, included a recliner so you could lift out or sink in the deeper seats. Marquis quoted me $8k for a comparable model (with more features) a couple years ago, and some allowance for trade-in - I think that was $2k.  I wanted a bit better, figured they were hungry.  Apparently not hungry enough.  Anyway, I'm gonna move on this, probably this week.

EDIT ADDED 5/1:

OK, Looks like I need to clarify:  The Cal spa puked 5 years ago - didn't last 15 tears, only 10.

Other responses - thanks for the advice, but I don't need general help on how to pick a hot tub for newbies.  I already know what I like.  What I need is, help from knowledgeable hot tub experts, about THE INTERNAL DESIGN OF THE PLUMBING.  I said my Cal spa developed many leaks all at once because of a design flaw - plumbing held together by only organic glue.  Now I want to find a spa that is DESIGNED TO LAST.  Things like screw clamps, access to repair hose fittings from inside the tub by pulling the jet nozzles into the tub which is then sealed against leakage by O-rings.  Details like that.  

For me to fix my Cal spa, I would have to remove the cabinet, or at least stand it on it's side and remove much of the injection foam, to get to the plumbing, and then re-plumb it.  Might be possible, but probably not worth my time and effort as there would be a learning curve, as well as tooling expenses, etc. Maybe parts sourcing problems too.  Though I do have a well tooled shop and plenty of fabricating and toolmaking experience - I'm thinking fixing it as a DIY project would not be cost effective.

OK?  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:28:10 pm by Two-kM-high »

Hot Tub Forum

SurgTec

• Up to my neck in hot water!
I've been more than happy with the Marquis spa I purchased in early 2006.  No maintenance or repair issues - period.  I am replacing the cover for the first time - a better than 'decent' amount of time for a cover.  There are many 'quality' spa manufacturors in the market.  Ultimately - you have to choose the spa which best meets your needs - for jets, extra features, dealer support - whatever.  Happy hunting!  I do reccommend 'wet' testing any spa you consider - it may look grand in the showroom - but will you 'fit' and will it feel the way you want it to feel... only a wet test will tell....

Pathfinder

I would say 15 yrs for your Calspa is pretty good. Most tubs are still plumbed in with barbed fittings & glued on with the addition of hose clamps.  Since you have owned a tub for so long you know exactly what works for you in a tub so shop around n dont be sucked in by new gimmicks.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
You guys said Caldera, D1, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, and Sundance were preferred quality spas.  ALL of them, as well as Marquis, have local dealers here.  In fact, this may be the hot tub center of the world, I don't know.  Certainly they were big out here when I first skied Colorado in the 70's, and still are part of the culture.

Those are all wothy candidates IMO. Why not visit each one and then decide which 2 or 3 you like best based on the dealer, the spa, the deal, etc. Then wet test the finalists (preferrably same day or same weekend at least) and get whichever makes the most sense for you. Take your time, good luck.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

clover

....What I need is, help from knowledgeable hot tub experts, about THE INTERNAL DESIGN OF THE PLUMBING.  I said my Cal spa developed many leaks all at once because of a design flaw - plumbing held together by only organic glue.  Now I want to find a spa that is DESIGNED TO LAST.  Things like screw clamps, access to repair hose fittings from inside the tub by pulling the jet nozzles into the tub which is then sealed against leakage by O-rings.  Details like that. 

For me to fix my Cal spa....
It was not a design flaw, but an EPA mandate that required the glue industry to "re-manufacture" glue to reduce emissions.  This plagued many of the Hot Tub makers during that time.  It was common in the mid '90's taking 5 to 6 years before manifesting itself.  Then one leak would show up and get fixed, then another, and another.  The cold water is contracting causing the joints to be stressed.  Honestly, it wasn't the manufacturer fault, but the formulation of the new glue.

The industry has since adapted to pressure fit, ribbed and clamped types of connections to flex hose in addition to still using glue where it is appropriate.

Do yourself a favor, don't fix it.  You know more about plumbing now go shopping and see how they are different.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
I would agree with what has been said, As you look at the upper tier of spas, D1 , Sundance, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, Marquis, have been proven, have all been around a long time,, I do not think you could go wrong with any. You night check out Spaserach.org, it may answer some of your questions you have, Alot of the spas made used barb fittings and clamped, some barbed fitting and glue, Usually we do not see many leaks with todays tubs, I would do what Spatech mentioned check out the different dealers , listen to their pitch , This will also help you narrow it sown just from the basis of not agreeing or feeling the warm and fuzzy with the deal....
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42