What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tech Help Needed - Electrical  (Read 2532 times)

bikz

Tech Help Needed - Electrical
« on: October 22, 2010, 09:53:58 pm »
Hot Springs Jet Setter

Per their(Hot Springs) written instructions(pdf). A Jet Setter that will be powered by 120v 20 amp dedicated circuit requires the following.

A circuit that must have a 20‑amp GFCI circuit breaker in the house breaker panel.

OK, Got that......but, the Jet Setter power cord has a GFCI attached.

My question. Two GFCIs on the same circuit. One at the main and another on the units power cord. Is that right?

Thanks in advance.
bikz
There are three kinds of men. Those who learn by reading. Those who learn by observation. And, those who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Hot Tub Forum

Tech Help Needed - Electrical
« on: October 22, 2010, 09:53:58 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Tech Help Needed - Electrical
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 11:58:30 pm »
 I think you will be fine with just the breaker on the cord, if there is already a breaker at the panel should be no problem as well, just fill it and plug it in.  Oh and enjoy it!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 12:00:52 am by Jacuzzi Jim »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 09:09:07 am »
I believe NEC requires the GFCI on the circuit.  UL standards require the GFCI on the spa.  Does seem like duplication.  However, we have not seen it cause issues.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

BNMac

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 02:53:16 pm »
Single pole GFCI breakers are inexpensive too - Looking at Home Despot, the Square D Homeline 20Amp is $35.  If you go this route, you'll need a breaker that is designed for the brand and model of your breaker panel and as such.   The price typically ranges from $30 upwards and varies widely depending on your source.

They are not difficult to install but one must exercise caution when working inside a live breaker box.  If you are uncomfortable swapping out a light switch or receptacle, then you'll want to find someone who is.

Having multiple GFCIs on a circuit is not a problem as noted by HotTubDan.

bikz

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 05:23:01 pm »
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your input.

After having read many pros and cons(cons were cost related only) decided to go 230v. Can't beat running the heater and pump simultaneously.  Have an existing U/G 2 wire 30 amp circuit, so I decided to pull that wire and run 4ea #6's and do it right. My wallets not happy, but I will be.
 ;D

Thanks again
bikz
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 05:39:02 pm by bikz »
There are three kinds of men. Those who learn by reading. Those who learn by observation. And, those who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 05:23:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42