What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My Arctic Spa adventure begins...  (Read 7777 times)

paxthar

My Arctic Spa adventure begins...
« on: January 28, 2010, 05:05:39 pm »
So my spa adventure has begun.

I purchased a 2000 Arctic Spa Cub SS model.  First thing I did was take it directly to the Arctic Spa dealer in my area.  He already has been very helpful, in that he wet tested it for me for $75 and lo and behold one of my pumps does not work.  He said it could be a small thing or at max a whole new pump install for around $600.  I am so glad that I took it there and not directly to my house so that I can get it all tuned up and running right before installing it. 

Could a pump be damaged because of transport or during transport?  If the chances of that happening or my dealer says that the pump was pooched for a while I am going to approach the previous owner about helping with the repair bill as she told me all was well with the tub, and everything was working perfectly when they put it away for storage. 

I wasn't able to see the tub running as it was disconnected, and the previous owner swore up and down that everything was in working condition.  Got the email to prove it!!  I know everyone here would of suggested to see it run or even wet test it, but I didn't have that chance, and the selection of used tubs in this area is very limited. 

Even with this setback I still feel I am ahead in that I will have an Arctic Spa for under 2K, the Arctic dealer said I didn't do that bad, even if I had to replace both pumps as a reconditioned tub of the same year or a year older would sell for around 4500 bucks.  If anything this will give me time to figure out my placement of the tub in the back yard!! 

Will keep everyone updated on my spa adventure!

Any suggestions re: new pump vs reconditoned pump?  Do I have a leg to stand on approaching the previous owner re: helping out paying the repair bill?

Thanks again

Hot Tub Forum

My Arctic Spa adventure begins...
« on: January 28, 2010, 05:05:39 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: My Arctic Spa adventure begins...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 05:28:37 pm »
 Doubt anything happened in transit.   But 600 for a pump and swap out?  Ouch!   

paxthar

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 07:19:38 pm »
Well I emailed the previous owner, to see if we can come up with some kind of arrangement if it ends up being a $600 pump change.  The previous owners did state to me that the tub was in excellent condition when I voiced my concerns about everything working, hopefully we can come to some arrangement. 

Either way I'm still glad about what I have and will just have to take a bit more time in installing it.  My dealer seems like a great guy, I asked him if when the tub is up and running and ready to go if I don't have all the cash if it can sit there for a bit and pay him as I can.  He said he would work something out with me, was a relief to hear that from him!!

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 01:45:50 pm »
There is little to no chance a pump could have been damaged due to transportation. 

I would agree that this year tub would sell for around $3500 in US dollars.  I'm an Arcitc Spa dealer here in Breckenridge, CO.  Who is your dealer? 

paxthar

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 11:01:26 pm »
There is only one Arctic Spa dealer in my area, which is Winnipeg Manitoba.  Believe one of the guys I was dealing with was Warren.  Seemed like a very personable guy I look forward to dealing with him and the rest of their crew.

paxthar

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 01:11:59 pm »
Well I went to the Arctic Spa dealer, and thankfully they were able to repair the pump.  The impeller was busted, and it needed some seals.  They found a couple leaks and fixed those too.  So my repair bill shouldn't be that bad.  Now all I got to do is shovel all the snow out of the way so that I can put it down in my back yard and hook it up.  What is the distance the GFI breaker is supposed to be from the tub? 

Thanks

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 02:01:10 pm »
Well I went to the Arctic Spa dealer, and thankfully they were able to repair the pump.  The impeller was busted, and it needed some seals.  They found a couple leaks and fixed those too.  So my repair bill shouldn't be that bad.  Now all I got to do is shovel all the snow out of the way so that I can put it down in my back yard and hook it up.  What is the distance the GFI breaker is supposed to be from the tub? 

Thanks

Who knows when the impeller broke; maybe it was when they shut it down or maybe on restart. As far as the seals, they had it apart so if you're going to change them that's the time even if it was partially preventative. As far as the distance goes it varies based on where you live. It'll probably be something like 10' but don't chance it, ask the dealer as they should know what is needed for your area.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 09:52:24 pm »
... He said it could be a small thing or at max a whole new pump install for around $600....

Will keep everyone updated on my spa adventure!

Thanks again

$600 is pretty high for a pump swap out.  You would think that they should be able to replace it for about $300 (max).  Sounds like that dealer is profiting a bit from the transaction.  However, as you said, your in it under $2K so that's not bad (even if he is charging FULL RETAIL for the swap effort).
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hot Tub Guru

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 11:38:57 am »
This is a Canadian Dealer so $600 for labor and a brand new pump is pretty accurate.  Of course the dealer is going to make a little money on fixing a tub. If we didn't make money we wouldn't be in business. 

paxthar

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 04:11:56 am »
Well for the price I paid for it I was willing to spend $600 if I had too, as the dealer said that the tub was well worth more than the $1300 I paid for it.  And it relieved me that I didn't have to pay that, it also showed the honesty of my dealer and instilled a lot of trust in me about him, as he could of easily said that the pump was shot and installed a new one without me knowing the difference.  I do believe that I made the right choice going to them.  Guess it was fate that matched me up with this Arctic Spa!!  I'm just glad I have 6 good buddies that came out and helped me move the tub from the previous owner.  Who I might add has not responded to my email questioning why her tub that was in "excellent shape" needed repairs.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 08:08:57 am »
Great story so far.  How good is the cover that came with it? Is it still in good shape?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Guru

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 12:23:12 pm »
Good to hear you enjoy working with the local Arctic Spas Dealer!  I know most of the dealers through out the world and at each dealer seminar you see the same people over and over again.  You can't survive in this business/economy if you're not honest and fair with your customers! 

I'm proud to say in 10 years I have NEVER had a customer call the BBB to report an issue with my company!  We strive to make every customer happy with my company.   

paxthar

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 06:01:51 pm »
Well as for the cover, it looks to me to be in good shape.  It didn't have any tears in it, and it didn't feel like it had gallons of water soaked up into it.  So I would guess it is in good shape where I will be able to use it for a few seasons I hope before I have to replace it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 06:01:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42