What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Filter cleaner  (Read 3015 times)

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Filter cleaner
« on: September 27, 2009, 12:38:53 pm »
Went to spa store for more filter cleaner and guy told me to just use 1 part acid to 3 part water.   Sounds pretty strong to me.  Not sure i want to stick my hands in that.  Should of just bought cleaner. All they had was spray bottles and i usually just pour some in bucket with water. Guess i can still just open bottle. He says dont have to worry about foam with acid water. Is this guy crazy or what.   

Hot Tub Forum

Filter cleaner
« on: September 27, 2009, 12:38:53 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Filter cleaner
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 10:45:22 pm »
Did he sell you a bottle of acid? I think there are friendlier cleaners..I cleaned my filters once with TSP..you just have to rinse forever. So I went back to the spa filter cleaner. See if anyone answers that may have tried acid. I wonder if all filters can withstand a strong acid solution??
Support your dealer so they can support you!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 09:19:34 am »
I've used a clorox/water solution before, less rinsing with that, but if you make it too strong it can soften the plastic portion of the filter as it did for me. (But it may have been one of my older filters.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 03:07:04 pm »
I think the bigger issue is going to be that the Acid solution is mainly used for cleaning heavy calcium residue and scaling. It doesn't break up grease / oils like filter cleaner does. You really need the filter cleaner to get rid of the deodorant, lotions, and body oils.
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 03:44:14 pm »
From Unicel, one of the largest filter manufacturers;

For years, service technicians and homeowners have acid washed D.E. grids. However, cartridge elements do not have the protective D.E. powder coating that grids have and can be permanently damaged by the acid. As a rule of thumb, acid wash only when required, if at all, and never without thoroughly cleaning the element with a cartridge degreaser first.

After thoroughly cleaning the cartridge with a degreasing agent, flush the cartridge with a garden hose to remove all traces of soap, etc. Now apply several drops of acid directly to a small area of the filter media. If bubbling occurs, this indicates a build-up of calcium or minerals, and you should proceed with a mild acid soak (see Unicel Cleaning Instructions for more details). If no bubbling is observed, your cartridge most likely does not require acid washing.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Spiderman

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 10:55:44 pm »
Sounds like a heck of a salesman; gave bad info and didn't sell anything.  No wonder hot tub dealers are closing their doors.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 10:55:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42