What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Crack & Leak in shell: How to repair?  (Read 8532 times)

mader

Crack & Leak in shell: How to repair?
« on: August 07, 2009, 07:47:18 pm »
Hey all,

I have 2 cracks at the bottom of one seat in my hot tub.  Each crack is about 3-4" long and it is causing a leak on the underside of the tub.  I just looked underneath and it is dripping just below each crack.

My hot tub is a costco keys backyard.  I believe it is acrylic on the surface.  The underside of the tub is colored yellow/brown-ish.  Not sure if this is fiberglass?  Seems like a one piece tub to me.

Anyway....how should I repair this?

Thanks,.

Hot Tub Forum

Crack & Leak in shell: How to repair?
« on: August 07, 2009, 07:47:18 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Crack & Leak in shell: How to repair?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 08:00:33 pm »
From Costco??? Return it! Please keep us informed :-)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 12:59:05 am »
How old is the spa? If it's only a couple of years old I would also return it....
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

mader

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 06:31:57 pm »
Its almost 3 years old.  I've decided to take one attempt at fixing it, which I posted in detail on another board.  If that doesn't work, i'm going to return it.  I called costco and they will pick it up from my curb.  Problem is the tub is dropped into my deck.  I COULD get it out taking some boards and a header off, but really don't WANT to.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 07:14:21 pm »
 I wouldn't even mess with it if Costco will take it back get rid of it!  FYI we returned something like 18 spas to Costco last year for customers with a range of different problems from leaks to fires to just plain doesn't work.

mader

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 01:53:29 am »
Why would you have returned 18 tubs to costco if they offer to pick them up at curbside of the residence?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 08:44:01 am »
 Because when we sell a spa to someone and they have a trade in junker or bad Costco tub (junker)we remove it for them and or dump it off at Costco so they dont have to deal with it!   They just deal with getting their money back from the store. We have had some people not even care if they got money back or not, they just want the Costco tub gone!

We take old spas to the dump at no charge.

Water Boy

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 09:27:48 am »
Because when we sell a spa to someone and they have a trade in junker or bad Costco tub (junker)we remove it for them and or dump it off at Costco so they dont have to deal with it!   They just deal with getting their money back from the store. We have had some people not even care if they got money back or not, they just want the Costco tub gone!

We take old spas to the dump at no charge.

That is very smart Jim as we do the same thing at our store. It only makes sense. You are already going to be there with the manpower and the equipment anyways!!

On a side note, a couple of months ago, I sold a spa to a customer, and they said that the clincher was that we were hauling off their old spa for no charge. One of the other local dealers was charging $300 extra just to haul off their old spa. She said she told them to get lost, and came and bought one from me. She said our spa was already cheaper anyways, and they were saving $300 to junk their old spa. That was shocking to me. I thought every dealer did that. Guess not! Their loss!
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 11:29:32 am »
Its almost 3 years old.  I've decided to take one attempt at fixing it, which I posted in detail on another board.  If that doesn't work, i'm going to return it.  I called costco and they will pick it up from my curb.  Problem is the tub is dropped into my deck.  I COULD get it out taking some boards and a header off, but really don't WANT to.

I wouldn't even consider fixing it if they will take it back, in the deck or not. The problem is if it's already cracked twice and is leaking from those cracks it will crack more just because of the nature of the material.

mader

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 05:19:19 pm »
Too late!  I'm refill testing it tonight. 

But I hear you, and it is a concern on mine for sure.  At the end of the day, there is thousands of pounds of weight on the shell and a crack is a compromise in the integrity of the entire tub.  But we shall see.  I'm hoping the crack was primarily due to the stress of people walking on that step going in and out.....I think I fixed that.  I can't control what all that water weight will do....

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 10:46:37 pm »
  I'm hoping the crack was primarily due to the stress of people walking on that step going in and out.....I think I fixed that.

Good luck with that!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:48:13 pm by Jacuzzi Jim »

mader

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 12:37:39 pm »
Update.  Both cracks have been patched and with the tub filled for 24 hrs, there is no leaking.  I will feel much more confident in the fix after a week or so without leaking, but this is good news!

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 04:25:54 pm »
All you did was bandage it, it will crack again very soon and probably from the same spot.

That has been my experience from the cheaper non fiberglass shells. I will not fix them any longer.

Good Luck though.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 04:25:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42